Thread: Laptop wifi turning off after recent Win10 major update

Laptop wifi turning off after recent Win10 major update

Works laptop updated recently to the latest W10 version- developers something or other? After that its wifi wouldn't connect to the signal at home which I at first assumed was down to loads of other networks in the area all using the same wifi band- changing the Sky modem/router to a clearer channel seemed better but then it seemed that if the laptop went into standby or into hibernation it wasn't connecting to the wifi without rebooting the laptop.

Found out later via WTen forum that someone else had the problem and spotted their laptop had turned off wifi to save power because of said recent update. remedy is to go to System, device manager, find "network adaptors" in the list and click it, look for your wireless adaptor, right click it, select properties and then power management tab where you should find the box ticked for "allow computer to turn off wifi to save power", untick this and exit back out.

Sorted the problem here!
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: Laptop wifi turning off after recent Win10 major update

Thanks for the warning, and solution. I depend on my laptop now. I still have a desktop which is unuseable since windows 10 kindly upgraded to the anniverary edition. I now know its problem but not been able to solve it - it does not get itself a valid address and I have tried every method I have found on the internet to force it to do so and failed. I can still use it off line but I have to import and export data via a usb stick.

Aren't automatic upgrades grand?

That hasn't happened to my Toshiba which did the (long) update yesterday.
    But it hasn't fixed the reluctance to connect after waking from sleep either
    Sometimes you have to manually select and connect and it acts like it never used the network before
    It also enjoys teasing you by announcing "unable to connect" when it already has while you were clicking things to encourage it.

Other than that hard pressed to see any changes though they list quite afew and seem excited about it.
    Default programs have been switched to something you didn't want e.g Films and TV for video rather than MPC-HC
    Desktop hasn't suggested doing it yet perhaps there is some issue as it's older.

Quote Originally Posted by 4wd View Post
    That hasn't happened to my Toshiba which did the (long) update yesterday.
    But it hasn't fixed the reluctance to connect after waking from sleep either
    Sometimes you have to manually select and connect and it acts like it never used the network before
    It also enjoys teasing you by announcing "unable to connect" when it already has while you were clicking things to encourage it.

Other than that hard pressed to see any changes though they list quite afew and seem excited about it.
    Default programs have been switched to something you didn't want e.g Films and TV for video rather than MPC-HC
    Desktop hasn't suggested doing it yet perhaps there is some issue as it's older.

This Thinkpad also seems to be having a tussle between W10 and Lenovo having the say with Wifi Had the default app switching too.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Works laptop updated recently to the latest W10 version- developers something or other? After that its wifi wouldn't connect to the signal at home which I at first assumed was down to loads of other networks in the area all using the same wifi band- changing the Sky modem/router to a clearer channel seemed better but then it seemed that if the laptop went into standby or into hibernation it wasn't connecting to the wifi without rebooting the laptop.

Found out later via WTen forum that someone else had the problem and spotted their laptop had turned off wifi to save power because of said recent update. remedy is to go to System, device manager, find "network adaptors" in the list and click it, look for your wireless adaptor, right click it, select properties and then power management tab where you should find the box ticked for "allow computer to turn off wifi to save power", untick this and exit back out.

Sorted the problem here!
    May be wrong....but is it something to do with the window users are who are registered to receive updates in the development stages?