Thread: Advice International Harvester 248L

Advice International Harvester 248L

Hi All looking for some advice being a Tractor newbie,recently purchased an old C Reg. Harvester Tractor for about the Yard and basically know nothing about it engine size etc. and could really do with a parts / instruction manual if still available or any other advice .

Re: Advice International Harvester 248L

Has it got the standard 8 speed gearbox. I think they were an industrial version of the 584 and 585 so would have the small 4 cyl engine of about 60hp and probably a bit under powered. Won't matter for general yard work. Has it got extra outboard drum brakes as well as the normal inboard brakes? I should think most things (speedo apart) willbe the same as other IH 4cyl tractors.

The 248 is the industrial version of the 484/485. 3 cylinder engine of 2.9l and 50hp. If it's a full industrial version,it should have separate brake drums for the handbrake,unlike the standard internal brake band that was total rubbish and a pig to replace.(Although the band may have been optional on the 248 as well)
    Ebay should give you an operators manual for a 484 and there is this...
    http://www.agrimanuals.com/case-ih-t...ual-7475-p.asp

or.......http://www.agrimanuals.com/case-ih-t...nuals-38-c.asp

My mistake there must have been a larger industrial model and one was a hydro with foot pedals.

Hi All apologies for my late reply but I havent been on here for a while ,firstly I did manage to get hold of a workshop manual bit expensive but to be fair it covers in depth every aspect that a mechanic would need to work on it but its too much in depth info for me to understand , now another problem I need advice if possible mechanically is very good and reliable and works as it should just takes a squirt of easy start and its on the button, problem is after around an hour of use it cuts out and wont start if I leave it for about an hour it starts first time theres always plenty of fuel in it but not being mechanically minded I havent a clue where to look next.

Could be a blocked breather on the tank, it could maybe take an hour to build up enough vacuum to stop it

Next time it stops, take the cap off and see if there's a rush of air into the tank.

Unless the engine is badly worn,ie valves and/or pistons and rings,it should start easily. Is the battery good? Check out the flame plug on the inlet manifold. Pull the rubber intake pipe off and get someone to hold the key in ''heat'' position( Just very slightly before start position) and see if smoke starts to rise and then a flame. If it doesn't,replace the plug. Don't keep using easy start or you'll need an engine overhaul for definite. If the heater is working.don't heat and use easy start together either!!
    You may also have a build up of dirt in the tank but more likely in the banjo joints/taps at each side of the bottom of the fuel tank.Take them off and blow them clear and as MC130 has said,make sure the tank can breathe. Change the fuel filter too.

Thanks Agrimax and MC130, for your replys, as a total newbie to tractor engines or any other engine I know what a heat plugs function is but where would I find the flame plug and what does it look like, a friend of mine also suggested as MC has a blocked breather / filter in the tank and to drain down clean out and replace the filter at the same time ? what you guys think

Pull the taps and pipes off the bottom of the tank and make sure the banjos are clear.You may have dirt in suspension in the tank that moves over the outlet, in use.If you have dirt in there,you may need to pressure wash the inside of the tank by going in through the filler side and fuel gauge holes.Can take time to dry out the water though.
    This is a 674 engine but you can see the heater plug just to the left of the injector pipes on the inlet manifold.(Yellow crimp terminal on the wire). Small pipe off,wire off and 24mm spanner to remove it but check it's working in situ first,and that it's receiving full battery voltage when the key is turned to heat position.

Good replies there by Agri Max and MC130. I will second avoiding the use of ether unless you had very extreme cold conditions. Those engines should need it in the UK. My bet would be on dirt in the saddle tank for the starvation. For the actual starting does this model have a cold start position on the stop button/lever? I would also say that the engine needs to spin quickly and will mean checking the battery and connections plus changing the starter if necessary. The speed the engine turns over at starting can make a huge difference.

Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    Pull the taps and pipes off the bottom of the tank and make sure the banjos are clear.You may have dirt in suspension in the tank that moves over the outlet, in use.If you have dirt in there,you may need to pressure wash the inside of the tank by going in through the filler side and fuel gauge holes.Can take time to dry out the water though.
    This is a 674 engine but you can see the heater plug just to the left of the injector pipes on the inlet manifold.(Yellow crimp terminal on the wire). Small pipe off,wire off and 24mm spanner to remove it but check it's working in situ first,and that it's receiving full battery voltage when the key is turned to heat position.

The last time I had to clean the tank on our old tractor I bought a cheap wet-vac (B&D model), drained what I could from the tank them stuck the vacuum hose into it - no problems since (used the old diesel for starting fires at the camp )