Thread: 1985 3Cx extra dig ; help please

Unhappy 1985 3Cx extra dig ; help please

Hi guys, new to forum hope this is the correct section to post for help. I have a very well used 3CX ser=309611 and she has very little drive. Will go up small hills in first forwards and backwards. 2nd no good on a hill but will work on flat 3rd might work on tarmac only. Feels very like what a slipping clutch is like on a car the higher the gear and the engine just revs so please where do I start ; I have read a little here already and from what I can see none of my electricals still work. If I can use her for couple of months I will try to check everything out. Heard there is a filter that might help ; where is it ?
    thanks for any info,
    topendtrev

Re: 1985 3Cx extra dig ; help please

Footsfitter is your man. He'll be along shortly.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Have you got an electric shift for forward and reverse?

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    Footsfitter is your man. He'll be along shortly.

I think Ace would be a much better bet

Quote Originally Posted by topendtrev View Post
    Hi guys, new to forum hope this is the correct section to post for help. I have a very well used 3CX ser=309611 and she has very little drive. Will go up small hills in first forwards and backwards. 2nd no good on a hill but will work on flat 3rd might work on tarmac only. Feels very like what a slipping clutch is like on a car the higher the gear and the engine just revs so please where do I start ; I have read a little here already and from what I can see none of my electricals still work. If I can use her for couple of months I will try to check everything out. Heard there is a filter that might help ; where is it ?
    thanks for any info,
    topendtrev

According to your serial number it looks like you have the Borg Warner Velvet shuttle transmission- looks a bit like this?

If it is then No 5 is the suction filter, If its oil level is correct (warm up transmission slightly and use all gears, stop engine and check oil level within a couple of minutes) and it still plays abouit then it would be worthwhile checking the filter screen and see if there are any bits in the bottom of that little sump to give a clue. If still mucking about then it could be pointing to a torque converter problem? or an oil pump problem? or a slipping clutch problem, or even a combination of them.

see what you find
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Don't want to upset anyone on here but this is the place for that question. There is a Loader/Backhoe section on there and since it is a plant forum there are some very knowledgeable people on there. You can go and read first but as usual, if you wish to contribute or ask questions you will have to register first.

http://www.classicmachinery.net/forum/index.php

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    I think Ace would be a much better bet

According to your serial number it looks like you have the Borg Warner Velvet shuttle transmission- looks a bit like this?

If it is then No 5 is the suction filter, If its oil level is correct (warm up transmission slightly and use all gears, stop engine and check oil level within a couple of minutes) and it still plays abouit then it would be worthwhile checking the filter screen and see if there are any bits in the bottom of that little sump to give a clue. If still mucking about then it could be pointing to a torque converter problem? or an oil pump problem? or a slipping clutch problem, or even a combination of them.

see what you find
    Sounds like its worn out to me. Will need stripping out for an overhaul, but is the digger actually worth it? plenty other old diggers about that work so little point throwing money at it if the rest of it has had it as well. He might be lucky and its just low in oil and with a top up it will be okay although if its been slipping like it a while then inevitably it wont have done it any good.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Sounds like its worn out to me. Will need stripping out for an overhaul, but is the digger actually worth it? plenty other old diggers about that work so little point throwing money at it if the rest of it has had it as well. He might be lucky and its just low in oil and with a top up it will be okay although if its been slipping like it a while then inevitably it wont have done it any good.

Could be, 1985 makes it a mere 32yr old

Where did that time go?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Could be, 1985 makes it a mere 32yr old

Where did that time go?
    I know its nearly as old as me!