Thread: MF245 Gearshift issues

MF245 Gearshift issues

hi all.

im working on a late 80's 2wd mf245 (not multi power) at the moment. one of the issues is that when changing gears (up or down, usually the dogleg across 1-2), the gearstick pops out it's internal mechnism unless you hold firm pressure down the stick as you shift it and you're left with a box full of neutrals. once it's out of place you have to stand on the footplates and haul an ugly amount of force on it to get it back into its spot. the customer's already broken one footplate doing that.

i haven't had much to do with fixing old fergies, i usually work on cars & light commercials. as far as i can see the stick can't come out of the gearbox case through the top, so i guess that'd mean it'd be one of the very first bits to go into the case when it's built.

can anyone shed some light on this? if fixing it means stripping the box down, that won't be happening, but if there's something less severe i can do to stop it popping out, im open to ideas.

cheers

Re: MF245 Gearshift issues

I'm not really an MF person, others will probably be more knowledgeable, but it just sounds like worn selectors.
    In the old Leylands you just took them out and built them back up with the welder

Well not sure if this is your beast but the Agco website said its a 245.

Looks like the sticks go through the steering box/gearbox lid and are held in those collars?

Hopefully someone whos clued up on these may answer it properly
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Don't know the 245 but assuming it's similar to a 240 and they're a descendant of the 35, there's a pivot pin through the gear lever that I've seen worn so badly that you could almost lift the lever out of selectors, punched it out and fitted a roll pin and no more bother, also once seen the probe on bottom of gear lever (in the gearbox) broke off on a 699 which we had to retrieve with a telescope magnet and get welded back on. It worked fine afterwards too.

thanks for the replies.

the pivot pin looks ok from the outside, in that there's not much vertical slop in it. i can't see any way to get the collars out of the the top plate without pulling it off, and really it still works 90% of the time so don't think the customer will go for that.

my guess is it's worn the end of the lever a bit and it isn't engaging the selectors properly.

will be a job for 5 years time i guess haha.

You could knock the pin out and build up the bottom of lever with weld and grind back to give a finish which would engage with a bit more bite.

i was hoping i could do that after reading your post this morning. just had a go at getting the pin out, seems somebody's plug welded both ends of it in place. there's a definite irregular oversized outline in the pin housing around the weld. i can see it being trouble if i go ahead and drill the pin out, i think im best just to leave well enough alone for now, customer wants his tractor back asap so its just not a good idea to risk needing a full days repair time.

for most of it's life before this guy bought it, it was one of a fleet of about 20 orchard/smallblock machines for a local harvest outfit. its had some fairly bodged up repairs in that time - their old fleet mechanic must be pretty rough, even by my standards. I've just spent two solid days cleaning up the wiring and replacing/repairing all the various fixes it's had over the years. there's nothing fancy in how i do things, i just keep in mind that i hate doing rework on things ive messed up. its always worth that little extra time spent making sure everything fits, clears and works like it should to save the hassle.

that and im just kinda lazy. no sense in doing things twice.

thanks for the help folks.