Thread: Who would be in Europe?

Who would be in Europe?

Instead of using our own truck to fetch a Caravaggi from Italy, we hired a smaller one. In the rush forgot about a road mileage box, so this morning we have paid a 1038 euro fine in Belgium.
    Last week I was in France with my car, I paid out just short of 100 euros tolls on motorways.
    It seems to me all we do with Europe is pay out!!!!
    An acquaintance bought a Mercedes in Sweden, 20,000 cheaper than in England.
    $0% of BMW,s profit is generated in the UK.
    I could go on, but it does all seem one sided to me.
    Jack Caley

Re: Who would be in Europe?

Posts like this deserve a LIKE button. I think we've been shafted for far too long.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

An irony alert button would be more apt . A UK importer who buys from Europe doesn't like European law , so he wants to withdraw from a law making structure were the UK government has some influence to one were they will have none. If things are so bad why doesn't he buy British.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    An irony alert button would be more apt . A UK importer who buys from Europe doesn't like European law , so he wants to withdraw from a law making structure were the UK government has some influence to one were they will have none. If things are so bad why doesn't he buy British.
    Perhaps the "importer" is importing because the item isn't available / isn't manufactured in Britain?

Heck, you don't have to "like" all of a countries laws to buy their products - if that was the criteria then you would have very slim pickings on what was available to you, even domestically produced products.

What gets me is a lot of European countries have been playing the "victim" card for the last 50 or 60 years - Canada just deployed troops to some little country next to Russia and Germany is DEMANDING more - WHEN is Germany (or Italy or . . .) going to help Canada defend its Northern territories in the Artic from Scandinavian and Russian aggression?

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Way back, 33 (edit)years ago, I wanted a mobile mill/mixer for the three farms I farmed with my brother. The only alternatives were American and I did find a leaflet for Caravaggi mixers. I took my mother in law and family to see my sister in law for a holiday. Whilst I was there , much to my wife's annoyance we went to Caravaggi factory, and I outlined my requirements for a machine, incidentally in French.
    Gian Paulo Caravaggi designed a machine to our requirements, and we later went collect it. We operated a policy of continuos improvement to our requirements and joint design.We still do that today, such that the machine is attractive enough for us to be exporting one to New Zealand, and one to Ireland this week.
    I tried desperately to try and manufacture them in this country, but could never get bank support. Caravaggis were able to get immediate pre production finance from the Italian Government on presentation of a faxed order.
    I have found the Caravaggis courageous, innovative and very helpful. They are still a family firm, but are struggling now somewhat under the Euro.
    I believe generally we, the British are being stuffed in supporting what is now a beaurocratic monster, having outplayed its usefulness.
    I would dearly like to either buy British or make it, but like the rest of British industry, it has had no government support, and has been sold off. We no longer make cars, chocolate, electricity, water, drive trains and wonder why we have a poor disposable income.
    The best way forward is to get out in order that we might stand on our own two feet and even send all those Polish lorries back to Calais, and make stuff ourselves.
    Jack Caley
    By the way as regards having a say in law making matters, Cameron soon found that 27 other nations would not listen to him.
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 16-06-17 at 10:20 PM. Reason: Correction