Thread: Hydro Riparian share

madcheviot

Hydro Riparian share

I am looking at a 100kw hydro scheme on a stream which is the farm boundary.
    Any one any ideas on what 'rent' I should offer my neighbour for use of his half of the water? Been told by some that 2% is enough, but others say 6%.

Anyone help me?

y fan wen

Re: Hydro Riparian share

Take a careful look at your deeds, the originals, not copies. Which side is the fence?

madcheviot

Quote Originally Posted by y fan wen View Post
    Take a careful look at your deeds, the originals, not copies. Which side is the fence?
    Definitive as being stream centre. Absolutely no doubt, and have sought legal opinions.

turboman

must be some stream to power 100kw! alot of fast flowing large rivers would struggle to keep 50kw going! unless you have a huge fall!

Exfarmer

I would be very shy of offering too little
    I poresume your neighbour is a canny Scot and he will be well aware of what you stand to make out of it
    I would have thought the best thing would be to offer to do a joint venture
    I would assume his riparian rights (and I know nothing of Scottish law on the matter) would enable him to put a stop to any scheme if he felt fit

madcheviot

Quote Originally Posted by turboman View Post
    must be some stream to power 100kw! alot of fast flowing large rivers would struggle to keep 50kw going! unless you have a huge fall!

Yes - 170m fall over 1400m run. Unfortunately flowrate is only around 90l/sec.

Calculations based on allowable extractions by Environment agency (SEPA).

Added to this 11kV line within 200m of turbine and a good scheme. Only downside is dont own it all!:cry:

madcheviot

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    I would be very shy of offering too little
    I poresume your neighbour is a canny Scot and he will be well aware of what you stand to make out of it
    I would have thought the best thing would be to offer to do a joint venture
    I would assume his riparian rights (and I know nothing of Scottish law on the matter) would enable him to put a stop to any scheme if he felt fit
    Correct on all counts!
    We are discussing JV, but they have asked for an offer for pure rent as well. I know which I would rather do.....

defender

if the water has a capacity to power 100 kw could you build a 50 kw plant and tell your neighbour to build his own if he expects too much from you for no input

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by defender View Post
    if the water has a capacity to power 100 kw could you build a 50 kw plant and tell your neighbour to build his own if he expects too much from you for no input
    I seem to remember Guy Gibson proved that halved dams don't work very well, or maybe it was Nigger.

y fan wen

Back in the days of wind and water power, there were real local wars over water rights! Usually between the local big boys and done through the courts. 'Turning the water to your wheel'.

Exfarmer

In England it used to require an act of parliament to impound a waterway and the mill had to guaranttee the drainage of the land above