Thread: Lambs in or out?

Lambs in or out?

Have 150 sheep and lambs inside, have been for a couple of weeks since they lambed as fields were starting to look like ploughing fields! Since there is next to no grass what reason is there to kick them out?...suppose to rain and then snow next week. If there only going to get the same feed outside then why send out into cold and wet? Any advice appreciated(whaat a bummer bout bff)

Re: Lambs in or out?

What they certainly don't like is being let outside, and then brought back indoors within a few days. If it was me, I wouldn't let them out until:
    a) the ground was conclusively dry enough so that they won't poach it too badly
    and
    b) the grass is growing about fast enough to support them.

Quite honestly, what's the point unless both of the above conditions are met?

Keep them in until conditions improve. Not much worse sight that a young lamb stuck up against a bunch of rushes or a rock with a hump in his back, cold, wet, and miserable.

When you do let them out be careful to let them mother up properly. There is no point putting them out just now and I am usually a kick them out sort of person. Once the grass gets away a different story but wading through gutters, no thanks.

thanks, great experience as per usual...will leave in and see what the next couple of weeks will bring weather wise. i baled some mature weedy fields in to hay to clean them up so bedding isnt an issue. Probably have 2 weeks of glorious sunshine now! Partner thinks i'm getting to be a negative bugger since ive been farming....probably right!