Thread: MOT for Farm machines etc on the way?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

MOT for Farm machines etc on the way?

Re: MOT for Farm machines etc on the way?

That would create thousands more jobs (jobs without work) and we pay for them once again. I agree that some vehicles are not fit to be on the road but there are laws already in place to deal with those.
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    That would create thousands more jobs (jobs without work) and we pay for them once again. I agree that some vehicles are not fit to be on the road but there are laws already in place to deal with those.
    Long overdue too many machines and iffy trailers etc out there slipping under the radar being used on roads with a its alright jack i'm a farmer it'll be fine. Yes it will cost but for them that keep there machinery road legal the cost will not be that great so nothing to get excited about is there.

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Long overdue too many machines and iffy trailers etc out there slipping under the radar being used on roads with a its alright jack i'm a farmer it'll be fine. Yes it will cost but for them that keep there machinery road legal the cost will not be that great so nothing to get excited about is there.
    Cant agree more ACE, far to easy to adopt "ahh that be all right,,," VOSA are mustard around our bit of Somerset particularly keen on tractors n trailers being road worthy,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by ACE View Post
    Totally agree....but...
    50k tractor with an iffy 15 or 20 ton trailer driven by a less than experienced numpty......recipe for disaster.
    30 year old (older than the driver of the above) 135 driven by elderly shepherd with a transport box for half a mile a day on a potholed c class road????

This is way overdue, I began serving my time as an agricultural engineer in 1974 & an not on road going farm equipment was certainly required then.
    Now I appreciate things have moved on & by & large most tractors, trailers etc have much improved braking systems, lights etc. But also speeds have increased hugely as well as size & weight.
    Anyone with good well maintained equipment has nothing to fear from having an annual mot & those with substandard equipment will, rightfully, be taken off the roads.

First questions that comes to mind,
    • how many accidents / incidents with farm equipment per year in England, Scotland and Wales?
    • how many "licensed" tractors are there
    • divide accidents / # tractors to get a "accidents per tractor" rate.
    • how does that compare to other jurisdictions which have an annual safety inspection and jurisdictions which don't have an annual safety inspection

On this side of the pond, some jurisdictions have annual safety inspections for cars - some only when the car is sold (i.e. Ontario) - there doesn't seem to be any significantly higher rate of accidents DUE TO FAULTY EQUIPMENT between Ontario and where I live in NB.

So, the question becomes, does safety inspections really make things safer or is it the attitude of the driver?

I can go along with this, farm machinery has become much bigger/faster/heavier than it was 20 years ago. But can we also have some sort of driver competence qualification as well please ? The number of idiots that I see with 20-30 vehicles behind them is incredible. And as someone has said before, a youngster with little experience thrashing around with 15-20tn of produce behind a 50kph tractor who thinks he is the king of the road does not inspire Joe Public.

But, and here is the rub, can we also have some kind of driver competence qualification with the cycling and equestrian world please ? Some are as good as gold but some of the stuff that I see, from both of these groups, defies belief.

Our highways are extremely crowded nowadays and the only solution is to use them with consideration for other road users.

Quote Originally Posted by wr. View Post
    +1. Reduce speed back to 30k, and limit to 10 T trailers if you want to improve safety. When was the last time you saw a MF 135 on it's side on a roundabout. This is the last thing the industry needs.

Quote Originally Posted by timhaven View Post
    +1. Reduce speed back to 30k, and limit to 10 T trailers if you want to improve safety. When was the last time you saw a MF 135 on it's side on a roundabout. This is the last thing the industry needs.
    When was the last time you seen a 135 on a roundabout never mind one with a 10 ton trailer on.......now that's a recepie for disaster!