Thread: Aluminium containers

Sh3pherdess

Aluminium containers

I have two ex national carriers aluminium container things which are quite good for storage (no wheels now) but I don't like looking at them. When I got given then they were peeling yellow and we scraped off as much as possible and painted them green. Now they are peeling yellow and green

I need to either get rid or do something about them. What would be the easiest way to strip the paint off and what paint would stick to aluminium. I would leave them unpainted if it all came off ok but someone told me you can't leave aluminium without paint on (don't know why the bare bits look ok!)

Can't afford to get rid and put up a shed but that's the long term aim.

KILDARE

Re: Aluminium containers

Aluminium trailers generally have no paint on them and they are ok

Sh3pherdess

Quote Originally Posted by KILDARE View Post
    Aluminium trailers generally have no paint on them and they are ok
    Good point!

Exfarmer

Have you seen how much ally is worth weighed in

Sh3pherdess

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Have you seen how much ally is worth weighed in
    No I haven't got a clue, how much? This is what they are but no wheels or front bit that was all cut off.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en...1t:429,r:0,s:0

cowcalf

Quote Originally Posted by Sh3pherdess View Post
    No I haven't got a clue, how much? This is what they are but no wheels or front bit that was all cut off.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en...1t:429,r:0,s:0
    clean aluminium, ie no steel at all 86p /kilo last week. to take loose paint off 4000psi pressure washer.

KILDARE

Yes but those trailers are made with very thin ali sheets. Take it apart and you would be disapointed with the weight of aluminium,IMO

gm

Quote Originally Posted by KILDARE View Post
    Yes but those trailers are made with very thin ali sheets. Take it apart and you would be disapointed with the weight of aluminium,IMO
    As above. What you would get for the aluminium scrap, wouldn't buy new tin to re sheet it. Power washer with a turbo nozzle will lift paint.

tw15

What about bolting some batten to it then nail some of the edge planks that they cut of at the saw mills will look rustic then with a bit of bark still on them .Know someone who clad a mobile home in it for a shoot cabin looked like a log cabin you wouldnt hardley of known it was a ex site holiday caravan .Or you could put up couple of poles with a green tarp on and stack straw or hay under it will look like a straw shed from one side then . (for a while untill you use the straw).

Sh3pherdess

I definitely don't want to resheet them, if I scrap them then it's the whole lot going. I had thought about cladding them but to be honest I think it's too much effort and will look like a shanty town if I do that because they are next to a new shed. Realistically I just want to clean them up for a couple of years til I can put something else up. It's complicated by there being electricity wires too close to the site to get anyone to build a shed for me and they are in a neighbours field (the wires) and I couldn't ever afford to move them anyway (been through all that it's not free up here). So really I think stripping them back and then doing a decent paint job will be the best idea. They back on to a hedge and are side by side so it's really just the front and two sides I need to do.

Thanks for the ideas guys I think I will try the pressure washer and go from there!