Thread: Tank bunding

Tank bunding

Is there any liner needed in the construction of an oil tank block built concrete bund or can you concrete floor, build a block wall and plaster?

Re: Tank bunding

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Is there any liner needed in the construction of an oil tank block built concrete bund or can you concrete floor, build a block wall and plaster?
    Best ask the Environment agency and get it from the horses mouth , or if you have a tank that does not comply with the current law you could phone https://www.nfuonline.com/membership...nfu-callfirst/ if you are a member . I personally would be a bit wary of relying on advice on such a matter on the internet ,such laws are constantly changing without us being informed .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    Best ask the Environment agency and get it from the horses mouth , or if you have a tank that does not comply with the current law you could phone https://www.nfuonline.com/membership...nfu-callfirst/ if you are a member . I personally would be a bit wary of relying on advice on such a matter on the internet ,such laws are constantly changing without us being informed .
    Hadn't thought of that but have contacted them this morning. The man concerned wasn't exactly sure but is to check it out and get back to me at start of week. Thanks for the tip.

Hadn't thought of that but have contacted them this morning. The man concerned wasn't exactly sure but is to check it out and get back to me at start of week. Thanks for the tip.
    The only person who is supposed to know and understand all the rules is the farmer. If you've anything that looks bunded you're ahead of the game, draw as little attention to yourself.

Yip, I'd normally agree but this isn't for me personally but for our church. The oil tank sits in a fairly exposed area and after hearing about several church buildings that were targeted in Belfast area the committee is concerned about our situation. Stolen oil would only be the start of it, there would be the whole environmental impact of heating oil in the soil and foundations. A man I used to work with, his sisters oil tank/pipework had been leaking oil for a long time without them realising and they were put out of house due to it getting into founds' with insurance company threatening to demolish the house..... don't know what the out come eventually was. Replacement bundled tank isn't an option cos they could just drill through the 2 layers of plastic and you have an expensive tank ruined too, so we're looking into bunding existing tank into a solid structure to secure it from thieves and protect the environment.

So you didn't get a wood pellet boiler in then😀 hear some churches are now toasty 24/7!!
    Theft and damage is a big problem and if they took it all it wouldn't be so bad.

hi i am an oftec heating engineer and a block and concrete construction is fine but very dated, you are better fitting a new double bunded tank so you don't have to bother with all that. i use companies who will come and empty your steel tank, fit a new plastic or steel double bunded tank, re fill your tank and dispose of your old tank which takes away all the hassel and risk of contamination which is the biggest worry.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    So you didn't get a wood pellet boiler in then😀 hear some churches are now toasty 24/7!!
    Theft and damage is a big problem and if they took it all it wouldn't be so bad.
    Grateful I think would be more appropriate!

Quote Originally Posted by Heating engineer 4 U View Post
    hi i am an oftec heating engineer and a block and concrete construction is fine but very dated, you are better fitting a new double bunded tank so you don't have to bother with all that. i use companies who will come and empty your steel tank, fit a new plastic or steel double bunded tank, re fill your tank and dispose of your old tank which takes away all the hassel and risk of contamination which is the biggest worry.
    The bunded type of tank has been ruled out, atm anyway but may come back in again (you know what committees are like) , due to the ease at which contents can be emptied/stolen/spilled. The concrete structure may be dated but would provide a higher level of deterrent in our ideas but open to other solutions. We're thinking of a complete structure with a roof and sidewalls to completely close it in.

The bunded type of tank has been ruled out, atm anyway but may come back in again (you know what committees are like) , due to the ease at which contents can be emptied/stolen/spilled. The concrete structure may be dated but would provide a higher level of deterrent in our ideas but open to other solutions. We're thinking of a complete structure with a roof and sidewalls to completely close it in.
    You are allowed to put it in a building but ventilation and fire resistant materials are a must. I would look on the OFTEC website or speak to them for the correct specifications.

it is far superior to keep fuel inside a building as there will be far less of a problem with condensation inside the tank.
    Remember for bunding you only need to have 110% of the tanks contents contained. if the tank is inside the building I would suggest the easiest is a to use a concrete floor, block walls with a step to access and seal the floor and plastered internal walls, with a suitable floor paint.
    ventilation is important but remember these types of fuels are not prone to vapourising, so the risk is low. however a no smoking sign would be pertinent.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    it is far superior to keep fuel inside a building as there will be far less of a problem with condensation inside the tank.
    Remember for bunding you only need to have 110% of the tanks contents contained. if the tank is inside the building I would suggest the easiest is a to use a concrete floor, block walls with a step to access and seal the floor and plastered internal walls, with a suitable floor paint.
    ventilation is important but remember these types of fuels are not prone to vapourising, so the risk is low. however a no smoking sign would be pertinent.
    Diesel in a frying pan or similar shallow metal container can make a useful emergency stove. The hardest bit is trying to set it alight.

For years, Diesel was kept in average volumes of 500 litres? in metal oil tanks up a height and emptied by gravity, with the occasional spillage.

How on earth can plastic bunded tanks with electrically operated pumps be regarded as more environmentally friendly. Next thing we'll be required to wear hard hats and high-viz jackets to operate them.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    Diesel in a frying pan or similar shallow metal container can make a useful emergency stove. The hardest bit is trying to set it alight.

For years, Diesel was kept in average volumes of 500 litres? in metal oil tanks up a height and emptied by gravity, with the occasional spillage.

How on earth can plastic bunded tanks with electrically operated pumps be regarded as more environmentally friendly. Next thing we'll be required to wear hard hats and high-viz jackets to operate them.
    Diesel flash point is 55 deg C from memory. So would be needing more than a ciggy butt or 2!

Diesel flash point is 55 deg C from memory. So would be needing more than a ciggy butt or 2!
    And they taste terrible when you try to re-light them.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    From one ex farmer or 'rangerover (rtd), I agree wholeheartedly. I know it would probably be of no interest but LPG in an underground tank, problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    And they taste terrible when you try to re-light them.
    Don't like the taste of them 1st time never mind oil soaked stogies!