Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zero Grazing

CowCrazy

Zero Grazing

When do people plan to start zero grazing? Going to do a bit this year and with the dry weather wondered if anyone had started yet.

cowpat

Re: Zero Grazing

went out last evening for 1/4 load to get the cows used to it in their diet and gradually build up

happycows

could do with another couple weeks growth to make it worth while quantity wise. i'd want to do a grass sample to see what it was worth in milk first. no point doing it if it's not worth at least 2 more litres than the silage when there is no shortage of bales in the pile.

y fan wen

Quote Originally Posted by CowCrazy View Post
    When do people plan to start zero grazing? Going to do a bit this year and with the dry weather wondered if anyone had started yet.
    Grumble, groan!!!

happycows

anyone else started?? i started a few days ago. there is some milk in this grass or my winter ration wasn't pokey enough!! cut the blend back 2/4kgs a cow depending on stage of lactation. stopped the regumaize 44 and milk up by a considerable bit. might have another little carve off the cake settings in a few more days. just waiting for milk quality result now.

what are peoples thoughts on balancing this grass. summer feed is looking a bit scary. anyone used corex? wondering if it might have a place if the price is right maybe with some sugarbeet. maize starch and 50% fibre will help slow up things and compliment the grass. could just use my expensive blend for fresh calved/high yielders then.

Mayo

Of course you will see a milk rise from fresh grass. They eat more of it, and its full of ERDP! Its not your winter ration being rubbish!

Seasider

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    anyone else started?? i started a few days ago. there is some milk in this grass or my winter ration wasn't pokey enough!! cut the blend back 2/4kgs a cow depending on stage of lactation. stopped the regumaize 44 and milk up by a considerable bit. might have another little carve off the cake settings in a few more days. just waiting for milk quality result now.

what are peoples thoughts on balancing this grass. summer feed is looking a bit scary. anyone used corex? wondering if it might have a place if the price is right maybe with some sugarbeet. maize starch and 50% fibre will help slow up things and compliment the grass. could just use my expensive blend for fresh calved/high yielders then.
    Yep have been cutting since Sunday,worth 2ltr at the moment,plan to cut feed by 1kg in robot.

happycows

Quote Originally Posted by Seasider View Post
    Yep have been cutting since Sunday,worth 2ltr at the moment,plan to cut feed by 1kg in robot.
    is that worth 2 more litres than the silage?? depending on your grass it must be worth more than that i'd hope. i've had some rise by 8 litres with a cut in cake.

nick6430

Happycows, did you get a front mower set up yet? Have you any bother picking up short grass with wagon pick up or would you prefer a bonino type machine? I ask because I tried a bit last year with a trailed mower and baler which worked but wasn't ideal, I'm wondering which direction to go with equipment

happycows

still cutting with rear mower and then hitching the wagon up for a couple more weeks. gone for the front disc mower option over the bonino type. lot less money and more versatile i think. wagon picks up shorter grass fine. you need to drop the pickup down as low as you can and the swath sheild thingy?? so that the pickup tines take it away and not just throw it forward.

i'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Seasider

is that worth 2 more litres than the silage?? depending on your grass it must be worth more than that i'd hope. i've had some rise by 8 litres with a cut in cake.
    Sorry,when I start cutting nothing changes in diet at first,so cows eat the grass but naturally reduce silage intake along with oopf feed.Milk has risen 2ltr/cow therefore worth 2ltr more than winter diet so I will now adjust concentrate to match true value of grass.

awj26

still cutting with rear mower and then hitching the wagon up for a couple more weeks. gone for the front disc mower option over the bonino type. lot less money and more versatile i think. wagon picks up shorter grass fine. you need to drop the pickup down as low as you can and the swath sheild thingy?? so that the pickup tines take it away and not just throw it forward.

i'll post a couple of pics tomorrow.

Windguard?

CowCrazy

Hows everyone getting on with zero grazing. Just started this week and am impressed with the results cows had been going out for a couple of hours but have not bothered with grass inside to eat. Cut cake by another 1kg and milk still up, knocking on the door of 2300 litres from one robot just cant seem to get over it though!!
    Sampled grass and 12.4 ME silage its replaced was 12.2 but they never stop eating the grass hard to quantify but intakes must be well up.

bob k

Hows everyone getting on with zero grazing. J

Really good , there all out grazing and have zero to eat, is that the same thing

happycows

zerograzing going really well here aswell. won't look at the baled silage so stopped that now. regrowth looks slow. on a summer blend now with high ndf and starch and low protein and looks like it is going to compliment the grass well. we are letting the grass get to 3-3.5 leaf stage for a slightly higher fibre level. on the days when the grass is wetter and intakes could be down a bit i put a extra kilo/cow down the feed fence to compensate.

good article on the farmers weekly few days ago on zerograzing.

CowCrazy

How are fats holding up, we were running at 4.00% BF now dropped to 3.72% today. We have grass plus Maize to top up but no long fibre. Grass much the same a little longer than normal grass check came back at 12.4 ME 280g NDF sampled on Monday.

Mayo

Stick some NIS into them. Had a man with your exact problem, butter fat (cows at grass, milk from grass mostly) dropped, NIS into them, wham, fat back above 4%, dung better.

Man in question did not rate sugarbeet at all in this respect. Got me thinking.

cowpat

Nis???

Mayo

Nutritionally improved (caustic treated) straw pellets.

Steakeater

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Nutritionally improved (caustic treated) straw pellets.
    Would soya hulls not be a better option?

Mayo

I am not sure. I look at soyahulls and I'm never sure I really like them. Currently I suspect there is a 20/t difference between soyahulls and NIS, sugarbeet and wheatfeed might be dearer again.

I actually like wheatfeed more than soyahulls, they do contain a little more starch and protein too, and they are a nice hard pellet with much less dust.

Happycows, if you use the grass as a complete forage replacer, and drop your concentrate protein right back, how long will your fresh grass supplies last? Will you burn up in July? Also, how long do you think you can keep cutting and feeding it? Could you keep cutting in say October if it was mild?

I like the idea of feeding cows grass instead of vastly most costly silage. I wonder if you could do it with other forage crops?

happycows

my butterfats dropped off from 4.2 to 3.85 on my winter blend. that had a lower fibre level but had to be used up. this blend has put us back just over 4% (34/35 ltre average) but will have another tweak to try and hit the nail on the head when barley distillers will be available to replace wheat distillers in a couple of weeks.

ingredients in order after the 1st/ may. barley distillers,sugarbeet, rolled barley, grain maize at similar levels. bit of soya and 2.5% megalac plus other bits will give us 30% NDF and 30% starch from slower sources. comes to 15% ptn and 14 me. sugars and protein then to come from grass.

considered nis but doesn't excite me.

mayo we don't really do burning up here! more getting stuck. i will keep pushing as much grass at them as they want for aslong as they will take it. let them decide if they want grass or bales and it's up to me to try and balance it best we can. other options could only really be kale/rape? does this not taint milk?

when we were discussing how to get ndf into them feed chap had a bright idea to leave a foot strip of grass on each round to grow for 6 weeks instead of 3 and go to seed to be collected on the second cycle. would be cut and mixed in the wagon then. cheaper and more use in litres than those nis pellets. told him my neighbours would wet themselves laughing if i left strips accross every field. think i will just leave it all a few days extra.

chippy

We started 2 weeks ago on some Westerwolds we drilled last back end. Milk has gone up around 2 litres. Starting to wish i had flotation tyres on my trailer as shes sinking after the rain we have had :-(
    First pic is a demo new holland and 2nd pic is our hurlimann.

CowCrazy

Anyone got any ideas how much grass an old Reco forage wagon holds on average. I appreciate weight will alter vastly with the weather etc.

happycows

Anyone got any ideas how much grass an old Reco forage wagon holds on average. I appreciate weight will alter vastly with the weather etc.
    mines a lw330 and when full as long as it's not ringing wet will feed 60 cows for a day. guess 5500/6000kgs.

nice looking westerwold chippy. how fast can you mow with that one? i can pick up about 7/8km/hr with my old reco wagon. hope i should be able to do the same when the front mowers on.

CowCrazy

Thats the same as ours, I make it the cows are eating 66kg of grass plus 10 kg of maize if I said a load was 5 tonne??

chippy

on a big crop i can do 4mph happily and on a light crop 7 or 8mph.

CowCrazy

Cows enjoying some fresh grass last night. Grass was quite wet but they never stop eating.

Mayo

Look at that stuff, lovely job. I bet with some careful grassland management you could get some impressive production. Some slurry injected behind it and it will grow like a plague!

You could grow forage rye or something over the winter and then cut it very early in the spring for a very early bite? Then plough it up and whack your maize in after it?

CowCrazy

Have found forage rye quite expensive to grow (seed cost), but had a few rented fields that had horses in that have seeded with some Italian and red clover to extend cutting season going to leave down for two years and then maize. Planning to go in with slurry as soon as can finish first field and no bagged fert is the aim.
    What time of year does everyone continue to weather permitting?