Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Zero Grazing

Mayo

Re: Zero Grazing

Quote Originally Posted by CowCrazy View Post
    When we sampled a fortnight a go grass quality had dropped to 11.2me the sample taken on Monday had dropped to 10.7 me 18.9 Protein it is super looking grass so should we continue to zero graze and correct the lack of energy or move towards a winter ration? Milk has eased over the last 3 weeks which is no surprise.
    How fast are they losing condition?

CowCrazy

No noticeable change but do not want to risk fertility etc

happycows

i opened the clamp of first cut on monday. they are now prefering the silage to grass although i am making them eat 60% grass as i am not buying protein whilst it's out in the field and i can use it. will have to do some more bales as to much grass about. i thought i'd finished silaging!

Seasider

Quote Originally Posted by happycows View Post
    i opened the clamp of first cut on monday. they are now prefering the silage to grass although i am making them eat 60% grass as i am not buying protein whilst it's out in the field and i can use it. will have to do some more bales as to much grass about. i thought i'd finished silaging!

Spot on happycows.Don't be frightened if milk falls,let your cows have a rest, keep that rumen working and concentrate on the health of your cow,defend your margin and production will return when she's had a little rest!

DairyFarmer111

We have finally got rained off the land, and by the looks of the next five days forecast, we will be off for the next week. Then we will see what the weather does after that. It can come in a good spell in september and save the day - let us get fourth cut and some drilling done. There have been as many years though that have seen the milk cows housed at night from 1st of september, with young stock in by the end of the month. This could well be one of those years, because heifer grazing has not been travellable with a spinner for two or three weeks, so grass is just about finished for the season there and they will be moving onto the silage ground. An awful lot of farmers are well through their first cut silage already, so I think there will be major destocking soon. We are used to coping with wet weather, but this is pretty grim.

happycows

travelling is fine here. i'm reluctant to stop all grass as you say it could be a lovely september and early october and could end up feeding lots of silage when grass will feed just as well. by stopping grass altogether could mean messing the cows about more than is needed.

cowcrazy's grass report might not be quite what it was but will still be a damn site better than many silage samples this year.

DairyFarmer111

Well, in the inclement north-west, I'm going to be the first to throw my cards on the table and declare myself out for the season. I have two fields left (about 12 acres) with a justifiable quantity of cutting grass in my rotation. I snatched a big half load out of it on monday morning before the rain hit, but its heavier land and the condition wasn't pleasing me so I turned a batch of pre-bullers into it to take it down to size. The other field is free draining, but I wouldn't even go near it for a couple of days now until the rain soaks.

Its only four acres and not worth starting the cows back onto the grass again just for it. I also have about 50 acres of good fourth cut ready when we get the conditions. I know some of you boys will think I should be cutting away at it for the next month, but there is no way I'd risk it with the state of things this season. I only hope I can get it in the pit and bump the dry matter up above 20 for a bit of decent feeding, and it will do as much good as risky late zero grazing. Thanks to those of you who gave me the extra inspiration this year to try it.

CowCrazy

Still going here! Had grass sampled last week and was 10.8 ME also having two grabs a day between 60 of last years first cut. Still just doing the 26 ac block we have done all year and the grass still growing as fast as last month.

chippy

i took my last load monday as well before rain came. Got 8 acre left but just going to put heifers in now. Had grass sampled 2 weeks ago and was 11 ME. Ive now got to decide if i want to zero graze for next few years and if so spend 30 odd k on a bonino machine which will save me time on my current system where i have to pull 2 machines round a field and have to tip the grass and reload into a box to feed it out again. Im also struggling with my machine to stop the pto clutch from slipping for 5 seconds when i engage the pto. Ive replaced the things inside the clutch but no joy.

happycows

i'm still going. yesterday was wet. feeding about 50/50 silage/grass. was more grass last week when it was drier but bf took a hit. very sappy now with low fibre. i've got eough grass lined up for at least a month if i decide to keep going and it dries up a bit agian. weather looking better again after today.

chippy with feed prices where they are must be a no brainer. are you sure the bonino is the best way forward?

I put first cut in a clamp (concrete pad) with a wagon. pleased with the results. looked good on paper and i got first prize in a silage competion last week. Beat some very good farmers. so pleased as punch. Seems sense to me to have a machine you can use for 8 months doing all your silage and zerograzing everyday if you could.

happycows

Been out digging with the catchment sensitive farming man today and taking soil samples. silage fields cut four times had no compaction at all but the zerograzed fields done 8/10 times had some compaction in the top 3/4 inches. lots and lots of lovely worms and soil looked good. just need to airate the zerograzed fields fields to help the bit of compaction.

might be wirth going out and having a dig

Mayo

Lets suppose a moderately high yielding herd will run out of forage say jan or feb in the new year. Could he realistically cut some grass and eat it as is, would it be worth actually doing if he could travel?

happycows

well if it's that or start selling cows then it must be a no brainer. i'll be itching to get some grass infront of them in march if i can.

CSF chap commented on how green the fields are that had slurry a couple of weeks ago. good sign the plants took up nutrients ready to use on the warm days.

Mayo

You have to chuckle that the CSF man liked your green fields, does that mean they will allow very late slurry spreading every year now?

happycows

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    You have to chuckle that the CSF man liked your green fields, does that mean they will allow very late slurry spreading every year now?
    He was very level headed. agreed with me on several counts. little and often is best. the weather and near forecast is more important than a date on a calender. a man sat on a umbilical spreader with a large pit to empty can be lethal to worms and soil structure.