Thread: What to do with unwanted grass

What to do with unwanted grass

I have about 15 acres of grass which I don't want (I do want the land, but not the grass on it). It has not been grazed or cut since last autumn. Prior to that it was regularly grazed or taken for silage. As it's well past optimum cutting time, what's best to do with it ? Thinking of offering it to a local farmer for silage (but not much demand for that or hay or haylage at the moment, I guess). I really want it gone so that I could rent it out for livestock until next year when I'll need it for myself. Thoughts ?

What to do with unwanted grass

I have about 15 acres of grass which I don't want (I do want the land, but not the grass on it). It has not been grazed or cut since last autumn. Prior to that it was regularly grazed or taken for silage. As it's well past optimum cutting time, what's best to do with it ? Thinking of offering it to a local farmer for silage (but not much demand for that or hay or haylage at the moment, I guess). I really want it gone so that I could rent it out for livestock until next year when I'll need it for myself. Thoughts ?

Re: What to do with unwanted grass

Just a thought,have you tried putting an ad on the noticeboard at your 'local' mart or have a word with the auctioneer,he may know of someone who could help.

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    Where abouts in Somerset are you ??? Any where near Yeovil ??? There's plenty about who will take 15 acs of grass,,,,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Where abouts in Somerset are you ??? Any where near Yeovil ???
    Not close enough, i fear - Cheddar Valley.

Unless you are getting at least 10 per average round bale you would be as well to topp it for it to go back into the soil ,either way you need to put potash back into the soil.
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

Quote Originally Posted by swagger View Post
    Not close enough, i fear - Cheddar Valley.
    Bit of a way to drag home some big bales of silage,, I'd take it FOC, even if it's got away and gone heady it would do for belly fill for suckler cattle, were buffer feeding already,
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

Couldn't work it all the way up north could yas?