Thread: Wax oil Newbie....

Wax oil Newbie....

Just bought some wax oil to apply to machinery, mainly fert spreader. Never used it before and after endless web searching still not sure what I'm doing?

It looks very dark and thick so when I spray it on will it stay that way? Do I wash it off afterwards with white spirit as the instructions say? Seems wrong to wash it off after applying it?

I'm sure its a fairly simple method but just looking for some tips so I get it right first time...

thanks

Re: Wax oil Newbie....

Quote Originally Posted by rob230580 View Post
    Just bought some wax oil to apply to machinery, mainly fert spreader. Never used it before and after endless web searching still not sure what I'm doing?

It looks very dark and thick so when I spray it on will it stay that way? Do I wash it off afterwards with white spirit as the instructions say? Seems wrong to wash it off after applying it?

I'm sure its a fairly simple method but just looking for some tips so I get it right first time..

thanks
    Place the waxoil near or over heat before using. When cold, it is thick gooey gloup quite impossible to work with. When heated up it becomes thin and runny. Spray it on and leave it at that. You can get a "clear" version I think which would be better for painted machinery (from an aesthetic point of view).

Kindest regards, Robbie.

Quote Originally Posted by rob230580 View Post

I'm sure its a fairly simple method but just looking for some tips so I get it right first time...

thanks

Shows how long since we have bought any as the description for this Spalding product has changed- formerly known as AgriWax its now Waxoil but the part number is the same and I see they still have the same claim for outdoors life of the product. I like it because it dries to a sort of touch dry state and will last considerable time. Ideal to stop rusting but not mucky enough to get plastered if you have to work on the machine later on.

https://www.spaldings.co.uk/building...-oil--5-litres
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Shows how long since we have bought any as the description for this Spalding product has changed- formerly known as AgriWax its now Waxoil but the part number is the same and I see they still have the same claim for outdoors life of the product. I like it because it dries to a sort of touch dry state and will last considerable time. Ideal to stop rusting but not mucky enough to get plastered if you have to work on the machine later on.

https://www.spaldings.co.uk/building...-oil--5-litres
    Hmmm
    Back in the dim and distant 70's A company called Finnegans of Prudhoe marketed Wax Oil as a rust preventative.....largely aimed at the car market.....when three or four years was a good life fir the average car....(remember Ziebart?)
    Another of their products was Hammerite paint.
    Not sure if the guy was called Finnegan or not, but it was a one man band that took off.
    All long since in the past......taken over by the "Yanks" I think.
    Seem to remember Shell selling some sort of rust proofer for agri machines, name escapes me though.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ns-gone.95468/

http://www.hammerite.com/history/
    Last edited by Gee; 07-07-17 at 11:58 PM.

http://www.gannonoils.co.uk/Industri...stilo_181.html

Castrol do a range of rustilo products, bound to one suitable.
    We used what used to be an agri castrol rust inhibitor wax years ago, this is probably castrols latest version. But castrol products are usually very good.

Been using this for ages, I spray all machinery with it from new. 20 years from now all nuts and bolts will be rust free. Seriously preserves your investment. Thin with white spirit, spray on, use the clear variant, HOLTS make it.