Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Environment Agency Visit HELP

  1. #1
    chippy
    Guest

    Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Just had a letter to say the environment agency are coming to visit us to check on and advise us on various things such as drains and slurry storage and chemical storage etc etc. Does this mean we have been reported for something or is it normal to get a visit from them? Has anyone got any advice on what we could do to please them because we have just redone alot of drains and built new under ground slurry store so theres plenty for them to check on

  2. #2
    upnorth
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Just had a letter to say the environment agency are coming to visit us to check on and advise us on various things such as drains and slurry storage and chemical storage etc etc. Does this mean we have been reported for something or is it normal to get a visit from them? Has anyone got any advice on what we could do to please them because we have just redone alot of drains and built new under ground slurry store so theres plenty for them to check on
    Havn`t had a visit for a few years but last time they came they were fine, no looking for bother and being helpfull..

    If you had been reported they would have turned up unanounced i think

  3. #3
    banana bar
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Not a problem, sound interested and have a few topical questions up your sleeve.

    BB

  4. #4
    Deereone
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Just had a letter to say the environment agency are coming to visit us to check on and advise us on various things such as drains and slurry storage and chemical storage etc etc. Does this mean we have been reported for something or is it normal to get a visit from them? Has anyone got any advice on what we could do to please them because we have just redone alot of drains and built new under ground slurry store so theres plenty for them to check on

    It never hurts to record your conversation. It will make you think before you speak and you'll have a record of what was said in case it is disputed later.

  5. #5
    Longpod
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    We had one last year. As far as I know they are picked at random. Most of the time was going over paper work such as NMax, fertiliser and spray records, soil protection review, NVZ paper work etc. She then wanted to see spray store, water tanks, where we fill the sprayer, diesel tanks and oil store.

  6. #6
    Newholland
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    They are helpfull / practicle and not wanting to cause problems - they just want to make sure some huge disater is not about to happen. Tell them about your slurry store situation. When they look at it, explain it is a high quality job, built by proffessional contractor and you just did not know about any rules regarding new build slurry stores and having to notifiy EA. They will be ok, they were with us.

  7. #7
    Filthy Rich
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by chippy View Post
    Just had a letter to say the environment agency are coming to visit us to check on and advise us on various things such as drains and slurry storage and chemical storage etc etc. Does this mean we have been reported for something or is it normal to get a visit from them? Has anyone got any advice on what we could do to please them because we have just redone alot of drains and built new under ground slurry store so theres plenty for them to check on
    Chippy, one thing they are VERY keen on is the submission of a WQE3 form prior to commissioning any new or altered slurry, manure, silage clamp or fuel store. This should be with the Agency 14 days before its ever used and the form should be signed off by your builder or, better, a structural engineer if it involves major works.
    It may be that someone passing has seen machines on site and made a note?

    Having said that, they are the statutory "Competent Authority" to carry out site visits on behalf of RPA (or RIW here in Wales) so it's more than likely a routine visit

  8. #8
    Ragwort
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by upnorth View Post
    Havn`t had a visit for a few years but last time they came they were fine, no looking for bother and being helpfull..

    If you had been reported they would have turned up unanounced i think
    Spot on. They are not the Gestapo. They will be keen to help and advise.

  9. #9
    the son
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    It is nice to hear that most of you have good visits from the EA.

    We have a poultry enterprise, and had to get the IPPC certification, so far they have releived us of over ten grand, and they are collecting 1800 of me each year aswell, with no end in sight, for no benefit to anyone, and you should see the pollution reporting form we have to fill in every year.

    And to top it all were 100% compliant with all the regs, collecting dirty water, bunded fuel tanks etc, before getting the certificate.

    And when you complain, which I have because I do get upset handing that sort of money over for nothing, you get the stock response, its not me, I am just doing my job. To be fair the individuals that visit are nice people, and I know they are only doing their job, but when ever the EA gets mentioned it makes my blood boil.

  10. #10
    willb
    Guest

    Re: Environment Agency Visit HELP

    Quote Originally Posted by the son View Post
    It is nice to hear that most of you have good visits from the EA.

    We have a poultry enterprise, and had to get the IPPC certification, so far they have releived us of over ten grand, and they are collecting 1800 of me each year aswell, with no end in sight, for no benefit to anyone, and you should see the pollution reporting form we have to fill in every year.

    And to top it all were 100% compliant with all the regs, collecting dirty water, bunded fuel tanks etc, before getting the certificate.

    And when you complain, which I have because I do get upset handing that sort of money over for nothing, you get the stock response, its not me, I am just doing my job. To be fair the individuals that visit are nice people, and I know they are only doing their job, but when ever the EA gets mentioned it makes my blood boil.
    We're in the same boat. But they took us for more than 10k.

    And are we doing anything different to how we were before. Not one iota. It is criminal really.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •