Thread: Security / Trail cameras

Security / Trail cameras

Has anyonever ever used anything like this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-Hun...A1&action=BID? How good are they? The pictures look good, but then it's an advert. Do you know if the led''s light up like a flash when taking photos? Thinking about security type situation in a remote location.
    Tia.

Re: Security / Trail cameras

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Has anyonever ever used anything like this http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/HD-1080P-Hun...A1&action=BID? How good are they? The pictures look good, but then it's an advert. Do you know if the led''s light up like a flash when taking photos? Thinking about security type situation in a remote location.
    Tia.
    I have been looking at these too, but I would need the infrared to be effective at 60 yards but I haven't come across one that would take a video at that distance at night.
    I very much doubt if there is a flashing light when a picture is being taken, in any case that could probably be disabled as my Dakota driveway alarm has this facility.

I have PM'd both of you.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    I have PM'd both of you.
    ?????

Ive had one very similar. Picture quality is good on stills in daylight of daytime. But I'm not sure what video quality is like.
    Doubt you would get anything worth looking at at thirty yards.
    Please don't think that it will stop any "vermin" from trying to get your tools and equipment. It just might give you a picture after your shed has long been emptied.
    Looking out for the next holiday.

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    ?????
    Have a look at your emails.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Please don't think that it will stop any "vermin" from trying to get your tools and equipment. It just might give you a picture after your shed has long been emptied.
    It obviously won't stop them if the camera is well concealed because they won't see it but at least you stand a chance of finding out who the culprit was. I see no reason why, with a bit of ingenuity, these cameras could not become part of the security arsenal.

Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    Have a look at your emails.
    Still no e mail, sure you copied my correct mail with the underscore?

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    Still no e mail, sure you copied my correct mail with the underscore?
    Very sorry, your mail was in my junk folder! Thanks for you reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Raggy View Post
    Ive had one very similar. Picture quality is good on stills in daylight of daytime. But I'm not sure what video quality is like.
    Doubt you would get anything worth looking at at thirty yards.
    If your building has electricity, add a motion detector pointed towards the door most likely to be used for entry and use it to trigger a siren - 1 inside the building and 1 outside for the world to hear.

make sure you run a light switch just over the door so you can shut the alarm off when you are in the building

Quote Originally Posted by Ulscots View Post
    Tia.
    Email sent. Have a look in your junk folder as per rangerover's comment. Sorry if it landed in there !

The village where I live had a 'visitation' last weekend,the lowlife was disturbed by the dogs at one of the houses,the image on the CCTV shows a male wearing 'camo' gear and a ski mask (and no doubt latex gloves),the problem now is that the lowlifes are one step ahead of us and unfortunately the law looks after the lawless.

Thanks to all for your comments, haven't got one yet but from what's on here and talking to a few other people they seem like a good job for little money.

I have been conversing in private with two members on here about this topic and I'm afraid I am now going to contradict some of what I have said. I have been testing my trail camera quite extensively this last couple of weeks and have discovered the following. This is my camera : https://www.amazon.co.uk/VicTsing-Wa...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Firstly, it takes 8 x AA batteries. I have been using mine soley as a wildlife camera and so I have only had it "operational" only between the hours of 10.00pm and 6.00am. The batteries have lasted about 10 nights. They were new alkaline quality batteries. I have had mine set to photo + video mode whereby as soon as the PIRs pick anything up a photo. is taken. But then it takes about 6 seconds for the video to start. I have emailed the manufacturers to see if there is a lithium alternative to having the expense of buying 8 AAs and I await a reply. It shouldn't be that difficult to put a decent rechargeable lithium in there, there is plenty of room for one.

But the biggest disappointment is the distance at which the PIR's pick things up and initiate the camera into action. I have tried this in the dark as well as the daylight and by walking across the front of the camera. Above about 6 metres from the camera nothing is picked up. The PIRs just don't activate the camera. I really don't feel that these things are suitable for security purposes unless you can hide them well enough and near enough to the target for them to operate.

There is one other niggle. When the camera is in position you have to open the case to view the screen, you can't check to see if it's pointing in the right place without doing that and of course when you open the camera the lens is pointing in the wrong direction. I know that it is supposed to be a waterproof camera and that the correct position can be acheived by trial and error but I think it could be done better than it is.

Please go to the link for my camera and read the comments and some others do agree with what I have written. In the camera's defence the photo. and video quality are both very good if you select the high definitions.
    Last edited by zaza; 11-07-17 at 03:47 PM.

UPDATE. I have received a reply (eventually !) from VicTsing. One thing that I hadn't noticed is that there is a DC input point on the bottom of the camera case. Their suggestion is that I acquire a lithium battery (presumably 12V ?) with the relevant output lead so that it can be plugged into the camera. I would also need the correct charger for the battery and would need to somehow make the battery waterproof. It feels as if I'm trying to get blood out of a stone !