Thread: Radical improvements to National Democracy

Radical improvements to National Democracy

Watching the shenanigans that is currently called Parliament.....I despair!
    Not at any one party in particular but in general.
    There is a saying that we the population / voters get the politicians that we deserve, I.e. Politicians are a reflection of society.
    Wedgie Benn used to advance the argument that you would not use someone for a dentist just because said persons father was a rather good dentist.
    A bit rich considering his son has chosen to follow the golden path to Westminster. Admittedly he makes a fair job of it.
    So what can be done to improve the situation?
    For me......How about no one allowed to become an MP or stand for election until they have lived in the constituency for Ten years.
    Remove the farce of centrally selected favourites of the party being parachuted into constuencies that they have never been to in their lives.
    It would keep national hq's feet much more firmly on the ground.
    Any other suggestions?

Re: Radical improvements to National Democracy

Anyone who wants to enter politics must have lived in the 'real' world,held down a job and preferably worked their way up the ladder - I know,it's not going to happen.

What they both said. Especially the bit about prospective MPs having done a proper job of work for at least 10 years previously. None of this "straight out of university - I know all there is to know about running a country" malarkey.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Watching the shenanigans that is currently called Parliament.....I despair!
    Not at any one party in particular but in general.
    There is a saying that we the population / voters get the politicians that we deserve, I.e. Politicians are a reflection of society.
    Wedgie Benn used to advance the argument that you would not use someone for a dentist just because said persons father was a rather good dentist.
    A bit rich considering his son has chosen to follow the golden path to Westminster. Admittedly he makes a fair job of it.
    So what can be done to improve the situation?
    For me......How about no one allowed to become an MP or stand for election until they have lived in the constituency for Ten years.
    Remove the farce of centrally selected favourites of the party being parachuted into constuencies that they have never been to in their lives.
    It would keep national hq's feet much more firmly on the ground.
    Any other suggestions?
    Good post, many of us have similar feelings!
    The trouble is that these people are in charge!!
    It has never been more important than it is at the moment, especially with Brexit.
    we need people representing us who have lived and worked in the real world out there, and know a deal when they see one!
    The frustrating part about this we seem helpless to do anything about the situation.
    I have written twice lately to my MP, all I get in reply is the party propaganda line, which says nothing.
    What we need is people with experience of business, doing deals, especially deals that hit their personal pocket , if it goes wrong.
    Jack Caley

Unfortunately those who get proper jobs don't become politicians that's why we get who we've got.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    Unfortunately those who get proper jobs don't become politicians that's why we get who we've got.
    It's exactly the same in Aus!
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    It's exactly the same in Aus!
    Ditto for "this side of the pond" (or they were lawyers - don't know which is worse - lawyers or un-employables)

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Ditto for "this side of the pond" (or they were lawyers - don't know which is worse - lawyers or un-employables)
    Yeah, we've got a surplus of lawyers in our parliaments too!

If there was a body on a country road, how would you know the person was a lawyer when alive? No skid marks

Don't tell my wife I wrote that - she's a retired lawyer

JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Yeah, we've got a surplus of lawyers in our parliaments too!

If there was a body on a country road, how would you know the person was a lawyer when alive? No skid marks

Don't tell my wife I wrote that - she's a retired lawyer

JV
    All the barristers and lawyers in our parliament should pass a law: no lawyers in Parliament!
    Jack Caley.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    All the barristers and lawyers in our parliament should pass a law: no lawyers in Parliament!
    Jack Caley.
    As Frank Carson used to say "It's the way I tell 'em". That would be the joke of the day if it ever happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Jack Caley.
    Hmmm
    Not so sure the Lawyers are the end of the world now.....versus the young politico dreamers.....Shona or daughters of past MP's, bag carriers for present numpties, PPI degree in the bag from Oxford and off we go.
    Jack Straws son did his Uni time at the same time as youngest offspring.......from day one it was every possible avenue taken , both political and non political. To enhance the CV to be used when he would be advanced as a "Red Princeling" in some safe constituency
    Democracy.......I don't think so.