Thread: 956xl fuel problem

956xl fuel problem

My 1989 Case IH 956xl is suffering from a fuel starvation problem, mowing rushes for about 2 hrs this afternoon not a problem the engine was running as sweet as a nut. When I was on my way home the motor just died and stopped, started it up and it ran again but it stopped two or three times by the time I got home. The filters were new last summer and the tractor may of done 20hrs since, the only other thing I can think of is the fuel tank would be off in April when I had the 4wd pump renewed so maybe there is some dirt in the system.
    Any idea's would be much appreciated...also last week noticed the rev counter is reaching 2500rpm long before the engine has reached full revs, could it be linked to the fuel problem?

Cheers Steve.

Re: 956xl fuel problem

there is a little filter in the banjo bolt on the lift pump , was it cleaned when filters changed ? Floater in tank covering end of fuel pipe ?
    lift pump needing cleaned out ?

Don't know 956s but almost sounds like fuel tank not being vented.

Think I may of sorted it, the gause filter in the top of the lift pump was clogged up with dirt cleaned it and it seems to be running fine. Will check tomorrow when it's on the big baler.
    Thanks for the replies.

Cheers Wrighty.