Thread: 1 lamb of each breed

horse

1 lamb of each breed

Crossed my texel X ewes to 1 lleyn and 1 charollais ram...it seems that a lot of ewes are having 1 lamb of each breed...i know that the odd time you can get 1 lamb each but looks like nearly every ewe has 1 charollais and 1 lleyn lamb (of course the lleyn being a ram). Is that peculiar or am i going crazy altogether???

Sh3pherdess

Re: 1 lamb of each breed

It's not that unusual but of course you notice it more if you have two different breed tups in with the ewes. If you'd had two Charolais tups you probably wouldn't have noticed...

Tim W

Used DNA parentage on my flock for a few years and it was suprising how many twins were fathered by different sires

skoda

A neighbor with Pedigree Suffolk's had one of our Lleyn rams jump over to his ewes (his fence), she had triplets 2 ram lambs out of the Lleyn that lived and a ewe lamb out of a Suffolk that the ewe lay on and killed it.
    Not a happy man

him

Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    Crossed my texel X ewes to 1 lleyn and 1 charollais ram...it seems that a lot of ewes are having 1 lamb of each breed...i know that the odd time you can get 1 lamb each but looks like nearly every ewe has 1 charollais and 1 lleyn lamb (of course the lleyn being a ram). Is that peculiar or am i going crazy altogether???
    how this a problem would they not be as good as the llyen, just asking as i used a llyen this year and was thinking of charollais the next cross?

Sh3pherdess

Quote Originally Posted by him View Post
    how this a problem would they not be as good as the llyen, just asking as i used a llyen this year and was thinking of charollais the next cross?
    If he wants the llyen crosses for ewes it could be a bit irritating

him

how much better is the llyen, when im wanting replacements i dont use a two different breeds to the group unless id be happy with both as replacements hence what is wrong with the char for replacements?

sheepwreck

Char X ewes make good replacements. We find they're prolific, milky and make good mothers. We put them to the Beltex or back to the Char. again. No complaints!

Clive Tee

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post
    A neighbor with Pedigree Suffolk's had one of our Lleyn rams jump over to his ewes (his fence), she had triplets 2 ram lambs out of the Lleyn that lived and a ewe lamb out of a Suffolk that the ewe lay on and killed it.
    Not a happy man
    Why is he not happy? Without your tup he'd have been left with nothing

horse

nothing wrong with ch X as replacements but I use lleyns mainly as replacements so i prefer ewe lamb than a ram lamb..
    i guess is more obvious when using 2 different breeds alright is just very peculiar to see..

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by sheepwreck View Post
    Char X ewes make good replacements. We find they're prolific, milky and make good mothers. We put them to the Beltex or back to the Char. again. No complaints!
    Quote Originally Posted by horse View Post
    nothing wrong with ch X as replacements but I use lleyns mainly as replacements so i prefer ewe lamb than a ram lamb..
    i guess is more obvious when using 2 different breeds alright is just very peculiar to see..
    Hmmmmm. I love my Charollais. As a terminal sire they are unbeatable, IMO, but I would much rather keep a Lleyn cross female, than a Charollais one. Been there, done that.

On the OP, would it make a difference what ewe:ram ratio was used? Presumably if they are at 1:30 would you get more ewes served by multiple rams, than if they are at 1:100?

clover

Quote Originally Posted by NeilO View Post
    Hmmmmm. I love my Charollais. As a terminal sire they are unbeatable, IMO, but I would much rather keep a Lleyn cross female, than a Charollais one. Been there, done that.

On the OP, would it make a difference what ewe:ram ratio was used? Presumably if they are at 1:30 would you get more ewes served by multiple rams, than if they are at 1:100?
    I have some char X mule ewe lambs to tup next Autumn.Is it a bad idea? Are soft teats a problem ?

Jackson4

my father always used suffolks, but this year we got 3 charollais and 3 suffolks... was thinking I was going mad watching atleast 1/3rd of my ewe twins come out 1 suffolk and 1 charrolais!! Apparently (i think this is right) there is two types of twins... one egg that is fertilized and then splits(monozygotic) or two eggs fertilized individually(dizygotic)... apparently dizygotic twins are the most common in sheep... how would I know we only had one breed of tup for so long It took me awhile to convince myself that something strange wasnt going on!

NeilO

Quote Originally Posted by clover View Post
    I have some char X mule ewe lambs to tup next Autumn.Is it a bad idea? Are soft teats a problem ?
    IME yes. Cracking lambs (3/4 terminal sire breed presumably) and lots of them, but the ewes are not what I would look for in a maternal breed. My pedigree females that don't make the grade get sent fat, not run in the commercial flock.

joe soapy

Quote Originally Posted by Jackson4 View Post
    my father always used suffolks, but this year we got 3 charollais and 3 suffolks... was thinking I was going mad watching atleast 1/3rd of my ewe twins come out 1 suffolk and 1 charrolais!! Apparently (i think this is right) there is two types of twins... one egg that is fertilized and then splits(monozygotic) or two eggs fertilized individually(dizygotic)... apparently dizygotic twins are the most common in sheep... how would I know we only had one breed of tup for so long It took me awhile to convince myself that something strange wasnt going on!
    just shows how unfaithful females can be

SamA

Had this happen this year with one of our cows that had been running with both a red and a black angus bull, one red calf and one black, a nice pleasant surprise.

GRANT@LOUR

A mule ewe crossed to a Texel had triplets,
    one texel
    one scottish blackface
    one bluefaced leicester
    ...well thats what they looked like, though DNA would tell a different story.

I'll try and find the photo