Thread: John deere 6210 pto issues

John deere 6210 pto issues

Hi mowing with a john deere 6210 and pto cut out i read the diff lock and pto solenoids would swap so did this it was actually a taller solenoid and the nut would not go on just to try i wired in on and hey pressto it worked ! For 20 mins then stopped after 2 mins would start again for a while then stop and so on anyone have any clues ?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: John deere 6210 pto issues

Sharp intake of breath,you like to live dangerously. The pto circuit and related control solenoid on any modern tractor forms part of a feedback loop whereby the tractor monitors the speed of the pto via a sensor typically just above the PTO shaft and engages the clutch pack using a pulse width modulated control signal from either a stand alone controller (NH 40 series) or increasingly commonly from a PWM output from the main controller (brain) in order to modulate the engagement for smooth starting regardless of load or engine speed. Said output is usually some form of switching transistor than requires protection from inductive feedback spikes from the solenoid coil. Said protection is often built into the solenoid coil itself in the form of a diode across the input terminals.There's the clue if they're different sizes they ain't the same. The diff lock is typically a straightforward on/off switching from perhaps a relay output which would not need any protection. You did not mention whether you did a basic resistance test to establish if the current draw would be the same? I suspect the diff lock solenoid is drawing more current and overloading the supply circuit never mind and potential damage from inductive spikes.The controller might well be monitoring the current and shutting down when it decides it's out of limits as some of the better ones do.I strongly suggest using the correct parts before you burn out the clutch pack or damage the supply circuit/controller.
    Last edited by T P; 13-07-17 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Sharp intake of breath,you like to live dangerously. . . .
    I wonder if he has taken "the survey", yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    I wonder if he has taken "the survey", yet?
    The last round of farm improvement grant applications required you to take "the survey" .I started the process online and then realised it amounted to a legally binding "risk assessment" so decided to cancel and let them stick the grants where the sun don't shine. I'm amazed by the number of people who have told me they lied there way through it from start to finish__all on the record if anything happens down the line.

T P - I was actually thinking about Dr Irwin's research survey on tractor's & safety under the "Agricultural Matters" threads.

Ah right I thought you meant the farm safety part of the farm improvement scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    T P - I was actually thinking about Dr Irwin's research survey on tractor's & safety under the "Agricultural Matters" threads.
    For a lot of people I don't think it would matter as it would just be "Nobody told me that!" But my return question would be.... well who told you that you could do it that way and it would work? That's probably where a lot of the complaints about brand reliability come from and the whole story isn't told.