Thread: Red clover

Exclamation Red clover

Dear all. I am new to the forum and I would like to ask a question. My family grows red clover in Greece and a merchant from U.K. wants to by 1000 bales of red clover and he is paying 10 per bale. The bale is approximately 20kg. The logistics expenses are included to the price. Do you believe the price is fair? Thank you all.

Re: Red clover

How much would you be selling them for at home? Does this price cover the cost of production? Then you need to know what the transport costs are to see if you're price quoted is going to be enough to cover all costs involved and leave you a profit. Are they being transported on open trailers, curtainsiders or built into shipping containers? Any way will bring a lot of manual handling and time.

Thank you very much for your reply. The price is covering the expenses and I am looking for storage around London where I live. Do you know what is the price for red clover in general? The plantains 100% red clover. Thank you for your help.

I'm doubtful if this is a genuine question.
    You should know better than us about the price of hay in Greece I'm sure red clover hay is a higher price if there are buyers for it. Let the buyer pay all transport costs and just pay you the price of the hay. I'd also be looking the money transferred into your bank before loading. I'd be very cautious about such a deal. There's plenty of hay in UK.

Fail to see where any hay could be sold for 500+ per ton.

Thank you for your answers everyone.
    The price in Greece is 4.5E per bale +1 E if you deliver the goods. That's why I am suspicious regarding the price they gave to my family from the UK. Myself I am a nurse and I know the very basic, that's the reason I referred to this forum. I apologise if someone feels I am a scam or anything like that. From your answers I believe the offer is highly risky and we need to ask for guarantees before we move on. Again thank you for sharing your experience.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    I'm doubtful if this is a genuine question.
    You should know better than us about the price of hay in Greece I'm sure red clover hay is a higher price if there are buyers for it. Let the buyer pay all transport costs and just pay you the price of the hay. I'd also be looking the money transferred into your bank before loading. I'd be very cautious about such a deal. There's plenty of hay in UK.
    Sorry vas I hadn't read your 2nd post. It's becoming more complicated and I'm thinking this "hay" isn't going to be fed to commercial livestock as it is way above the price of much better feedstuffs. You're more trying to work out a fair price to pay family member in Greece.
    As they say on dragons den "I'm out"

My experience of red clover hay from about 0 years ago, was by the time you got it made there were no leaves left on it, just stalks!
    Jack Caley
    Should be 70 years ago!
    Last edited by Jack_Caley; 13-07-17 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Correction

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    My experience of red clover hay from about 0 years ago, was by the time you got it made there were no leaves left on it, just stalks!
    Jack Caley
    Should be 70 years ago!
    You certainly couldn't chuck it around the parish if you were trying to get the seed out of it even though you wanted it as dry as possible ! Always 2nd cut when clover had gone to seed. Cut with a cutterbar mower of course and then turned gently with the "uke" (trailed Vicon Lely swath turner - the trailed version of the acrobat) then rowed up with same. Never knew why Dad had a man on the bags, you only used to get a bag about every acre or two. More dust and seconds than seed.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Remember it in hay that had been cut perhaps mid July......Rain set in for a week or so....Red Clover came back to life and stood up out of the swath!

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Remember it in hay that had been cut perhaps mid July......Rain set in for a week or so....Red Clover came back to life and stood up out of the swath!
    Yes, that's why it was always the latimuth that was cut for seed.

I am always very suspicious of deals which look too good to be true, however the race horse industry will pay, whatever is needed to get what it is after.
    If your red clover hay is that good then they may be happy to pay it. I would insist on secure payment at loading. let them pay the transport.
    your climate in Greece will enable you to deliver a consistently good quality hay. Clover hay as others point out is the very best , but if it has been turned in the drying process too often the quality is lost. A good crop here can easily take 10 days to dry as clover stems retain the moisture , in this time the risk of rain damage is very high.
    I believe the Race horse industry imports hay from places such as California to ensure a good consistent product, you may be able to offer the same

Whatever you do, do NOT send a load here without full payment, as you can be certain it will be rejected and another very cheap offer to dispose of it.
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

I grew seeds hay for the racehorse industry for 15 years and there were some very strict criteria from the 2 merchants that I dealt with who were both close to the Newmarket area. They only dealt with the racehorse industry.

1. Absolutely no clover.
    2. Straight annual ryegrass 1st year ley but they would tolerate a small amout of timothy. It wasn't very often they would take the 2nd year.
    3. If you hadn't cut it by the 3rd week of June (at the very latest but they really preferred the 2nd week) they wouldn't have it.
    4. They would not let you load their lorries and drags with a flat 8, always up an elevator and they damn soon came back down again if a bale was a bit dusty.

And my two merchants were as straight as a die. After about 5 years we never agreed a price, they would pay me how they valued it and I was never disappointed.
    They both used to import as much alfalfa from Canada as they would buy hay in England.

Thank you Peter Walker and George Graham, you are/were two gentlemen. One of them came from Great Gransden I remember.