Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

  1. #1
    10acresofchaos
    Guest

    Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    Hi All,
    I have just got my Dexta back here and am going to give it a good service, re-wire and sort out some issues it has.

    When I drove it back it sounded a bit 'knocky' under load going up hills. It might be that this is their natural noise but sounded a bit excessive to me. I drained the oil today, removed the sump plate, mopped around inside and then peered around inside. All looks pretty clean and with a back and forth movement with a spanner on the dynamo it looks like there may be around 5 or 10 thou movement on the small ends. It is difficult to judge peering up from the bottom. I don't think it will be a problem but it would be interesting to get the opinion of others who may have pulled their dexta to bits. The oil was not as good and slippery as it should be and may have been in there a good while.

    I will be changing filters and will need gaskets, thermostat etc so would like to know where is the best place to get good quality parts?

    Rob

  2. #2
    davidroberts30
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by 10acresofchaos View Post
    Hi All,
    I have just got my Dexta back here and am going to give it a good service, re-wire and sort out some issues it has.

    When I drove it back it sounded a bit 'knocky' under load going up hills. It might be that this is their natural noise but sounded a bit excessive to me. I drained the oil today, removed the sump plate, mopped around inside and then peered around inside. All looks pretty clean and with a back and forth movement with a spanner on the dynamo it looks like there may be around 5 or 10 thou movement on the small ends. It is difficult to judge peering up from the bottom. I don't think it will be a problem but it would be interesting to get the opinion of others who may have pulled their dexta to bits. The oil was not as good and slippery as it should be and may have been in there a good while.

    I will be changing filters and will need gaskets, thermostat etc so would like to know where is the best place to get good quality parts?

    Rob
    sparex, vapourmatic,cnh dealer

  3. #3
    agrimax
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    If you are going to give it regular use,it would be better to give the engine a proper overhaul and know what you have at the end of it.If there is play in the small ends,there is likely wear everywhere else too.Obviously don't know your circumstances but overhauling this engine is much the same as a MF 35 and is not difficult or expensive.If its easy started and not blowing oil,a bottom end overhaul might even be ample.ie crank grind,full set of bearings/thrusts,oil pump and small end bushes.
    Bepco is another source of good parts but again only through a distributor.Or Agriline.

  4. #4
    10acresofchaos
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    If you are going to give it regular use,it would be better to give the engine a proper overhaul and know what you have at the end of it.If there is play in the small ends,there is likely wear everywhere else too.Obviously don't know your circumstances but overhauling this engine is much the same as a MF 35 and is not difficult or expensive.If its easy started and not blowing oil,a bottom end overhaul might even be ample.ie crank grind,full set of bearings/thrusts,oil pump and small end bushes.
    Bepco is another source of good parts but again only through a distributor.Or Agriline.
    We will be using it lightly and I don't realy have the time to do anything with it at the moment. We will use it to plough a couple of acres a year and a bit of shifting stuff so will not be used hard at all.
    The engine was breathing a little after about 5 miles on the road. It is not starting well at the moment as the starter is turning the engine over far too slowly and the heater cable has snapped off
    I think the starter issue could be the earth cable as that was getting hot enough to melt its insulation so maybe insufficient current is getting to the starter. I will make up a new battery cable for it and sort out the wiring.

    What is the quality of the engine overhaul kits like? I saw one kit on the internet yesterday that included pistons, rings, liners, bearings, gaskets, valves, valve springs etc all for about 160. Presumably these are churned out in china for that price? I am wondering if these are a false economy?

    Rob

  5. #5
    agrimax
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    If you're not going to be doing much,then an oil and filter change might do for now.Personally,I would fit a gauge and check the oil pressure.If that possible knock is from worn bearings,it won't last long.
    Haven't used Agriline(160) for engine stuff so can't comment on quality although there was a thread on here not long ago and posters weren't fussed on some of their stuff for whatever reason.Personally,I used Bepco for a full rebuild on a 135 and everything fitted to a tee.Although the crankshaft and oil pump was an extra on top of the kit.

  6. #6
    10acresofchaos
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by agrimax View Post
    If you're not going to be doing much,then an oil and filter change might do for now.Personally,I would fit a gauge and check the oil pressure.If that possible knock is from worn bearings,it won't last long.
    Haven't used Agriline(160) for engine stuff so can't comment on quality although there was a thread on here not long ago and posters weren't fussed on some of their stuff for whatever reason.Personally,I used Bepco for a full rebuild on a 135 and everything fitted to a tee.Although the crankshaft and oil pump was an extra on top of the kit.
    Thanks for that. I will fit an oil pressure guage and see what the oil pressure sits at. It sounds sweet enough off load so it might just be the noise I am not used to. It is the first one I have owned and the last time I drove one was about 25 years ago. I will also check the injector timing at some point.

    Rob

  7. #7
    Exfarmer
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    Malcolm Hipperson is not that far from you in
    Downham Market
    I know he is extremely helpful
    and I believe also reasonable
    01366 324 394

  8. #8
    Benwales
    Guest

    Re: Dexta servicing and where to buy parts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    Malcolm Hipperson is not that far from you in Downham Market I know he is extremely helpful and I believe also reasonable 01366 324 394
    +1
    Can be emailed on malcolmhipperson@aol.com

    Also suggest you sign up on fordsontractorpages.nl lots of Dexta info/help there.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •