Thread: Spool Valve O Rings

Spool Valve O Rings

Just wondering if anyone buys o rings for their spool valves (quick release couplings) individually rather than in the kits? Normally I get the sparex kits off local guy but had to buy some the other day and got Vapormatic ones and got charged 14 for 4 packs. Dont remember them been that expensive and seems like a waste that getting 2 o rings and 2 plastic washers and all i need is one of the orings.

Question really do you buy just an o ring and if so is it a special kind (rubber or silcone) and what size (measured my own and get 25mm x 2.5mm but on pack says 1/2") ?

Interested in New Holland 40,60 series and TM if anyone knows would be good and hopefully save some waste.

thanks

Re: Spool Valve O Rings

So how much success do you have fitting them.
    Tried once or twice before with variable results.
    Fitting the rigid washer without damage to it is the main problem.
    Any tips from any one? Got two or three weepies at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by buzzoka View Post
    Just wondering if anyone buys o rings for their spool valves (quick release couplings) individually rather than in the kits? Normally I get the sparex kits off local guy but had to buy some the other day and got Vapormatic ones and got charged 14 for 4 packs. Dont remember them been that expensive and seems like a waste that getting 2 o rings and 2 plastic washers and all i need is one of the orings.

Question really do you buy just an o ring and if so is it a special kind (rubber or silcone) and what size (measured my own and get 25mm x 2.5mm but on pack says 1/2") ?

Interested in New Holland 40,60 series and TM if anyone knows would be good and hopefully save some waste.

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post

Usually fit the plastic back-up washer first to a clean and spotless groove in the coupling, you may have to roll it around a bit to get it to lay in the groove sensibly. Use a smooth item like a decent pin-punch to work round it and encourage it to flatten out properly. Then the O ring goes in next, behind the backup ring- ie furthest from you, again roll this in, a small quantity of clean oil may help. When in both the back-up ring and the O ring should be in the groove fully with out either still being twisted.

14 works out a 3.50 a pack or 1.75 for the two items to do one coupling, not much if they are the right spec which if they are OE will probably be. Just sticking in the O ring alone is a waste as usually the old O ring will of pushed on the back-up ring deforming it slightly and it may of hardened/aged so ought to be replaced.

More important than the price is getting the right hardness O ring. If you just specify "O ring" you may just get a bog standard ring that may not even be 60 shore hardness which is the normal static oring minimum spec, hence why genuine orings will usually be harder 70 shore or more especially in an environment where someones shoving a male QRC in without too much basic hygiene and then with repeated pulses of pressure on and off the oring has to be able to put up with some stick.

you pays your money............
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Normally spend some time doing this and few swear words issued tbh. Cant see there been any specalised tool for this likebut would be great if there was lol

I need to do this on a new Holland t6010. Are they the same type? I spoke to a fitter about getting a seal kit and he said waste of time just buy new ones! Don't suppose there is a you tube video of anyone doing it.

Cheers

Agrotron they come in a kit with two different sized o rings and washers, 3/4" and 1/2" so believe one pack fits all sort of thing.

Just an update on this from me was in local dealer again got some of the Sparex ones instead of the Vapormatic ones and 1 a pack, bit of a diff to 3.50 so my advise find a sparex retailer when buying these instead of Vapormatic and before anyone says it have used both now and Vapormatic is not any better quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Agrotron View Post
    I need to do this on a new Holland t6010. Are they the same type? I spoke to a fitter about getting a seal kit and he said waste of time just buy new ones! Don't suppose there is a you tube video of anyone doing it.

Cheers
    Yep.....he wasn't paying for the bits!
    Something sticks in my mind 200ish few years ago now.
    Taking the off the tractor and in the vice makes it easier.....but all to easy to end up with the thing backing washer creased beyond use.