Thread: Chlorinated Chicken

Chlorinated Chicken

Thinking it through......
    1 Chlorinated chicken arrives in U.K. , much cheaper than UK produced chicken meat.
    2 No Chicken meat can be exported from here to the EU no matter what trade deal is in place.
    3 UK Chicken industry does not fill sheds, within weeks .
    4 Demand for poultry feed Wheat stops within say 8 weeks
    5 Price of Wheat??????????

Re: Chlorinated Chicken

Basically, it's in everyone's best interests in this country that this sham excuse of a product doesn't come over here. This trade deal malarkey is gonna end up taking years

Scotland, land of the free home of the brave

A complete Red Herring on this one.
    I'd refer you to the following research paper by Dixon and Pooley 2009
    https://doi.org/10.1017/S0022172400039000
    It is pertinent that washing chicken carcasses with chlorinated water at 200ppm is to reduce and/or eliminate the risk of salmonella contamination.
    I would have thought that salmonella posed a greater risk than chlorine bearing in mind that all public water supplies in the UK are chlorinated.
    In any event I thought the US was a net importer of chicken meat?

And we don't want anyone to expose the food adulteration processes which occur in the UK.

Pumped up chicken, water added to bacon etc.

It is well established that British manufactured goods have a tremendous reputation in the USA for quality. It is a sad fact of life that if we
    want to export more goods to the USA, we will have to accept their food products. And if these are cheaper and tastier than our home-produced
    alternatives, folk will buy them.

We might at last be able to dine out, order a very large steak, and not be disappointed.

I have a feeling the Michael Gove will turn out to be an exceptionally able Minister of Ag. But their are two major policies he should adopt.

1 Ensure that the environmental brigade are kept in check.

2 Appoint Owen Paterson as his SIC.

Quote Originally Posted by b slicker View Post
    And we don't want anyone to expose the food adulteration processes which occur in the UK.

It is well established that British manufactured goods have a tremendous reputation in the USA for quality. It is a sad fact of life that if we
    want to export more goods to the USA, we will have to accept their food products. And if these are cheaper and tastier than our home-produced

We might at last be able to dine out, order a very large steak, and not be disappointed.

I have a feeling the Michael Gove will turn out to be an exceptionally able Minister of Ag. But their are two major policies he should adopt.

The way farm incomes will go what will you use to pay for the steak?

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    It is pertinent that washing chicken carcasses with chlorinated water at 200ppm is to reduce and/or eliminate the risk of salmonella contamination.
    I would have thought that salmonella posed a greater risk than chlorine bearing in mind that all public water supplies in the UK are chlorinated.
    Water is around 4 parts per million , the reality is that the US have different emphasis on food safety , theirs is short term health ,ours is long term health risks . The big problem for UK producers is that they have a smaller medicine cupboard and have a bigger workload in maintaining hygiene within their sheds to keep the bacteria & viruses at bay .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

We might at last be able to dine out, order a very large steak, and not be disappointed. .
    Your obviously in a good position the weather the incoming storm that will hit UK agriculture . Have you got your eye on an Electric Tractor.

Have you asked the Farmers who keep sheep near to the Kielder Forest if they share your point of view with the impending release of some over sized pussy .
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

The point is a that a cheaper product is going to hurt British farmers financially. If American farmers had higher health standards, they wouldn't have to chlorinate their chicken. Let's be honest, we shouldn't be accepting cheap products from a country which loves to over-indulge and has serious health problems. They don't bother to keep their people healthy and have a crumbling, expensive health system. No wonder there's social disarray over there.

[QUOTE=skoda;282898]Your obviously in a good position the weather the incoming storm that will hit UK agriculture . Have you got your eye on an Electric Tractor.

I'll need two electric tractors. That's because they are expected to work for only four hours before needing to be charged for three hours.

Quote Originally Posted by skoda View Post

Have you asked the Farmers who keep sheep near to the Kielder Forest if they share your point of view with the impending release of some over sized pussy .
    It all depends on whether or not they are going to get a very large compensation payment for each sheep killed.

If so, the lynx might turn out to be the best ever protected predator. Otherwise they will be quickly ...........

From that well known Left wing publication The Times .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by LALANS View Post
    On this side of the pond, chlorine is used to "shock" private water wells to remove bacteria - then water is pumped from the well for about an hour before being used for human consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Gyles View Post
    The point is a that a cheaper product is going to hurt British farmers financially. If American farmers had higher health standards, they wouldn't have to chlorinate their chicken. Let's be honest, we shouldn't be accepting cheap products from a country which loves to over-indulge and has serious health problems. They don't bother to keep their people healthy and have a crumbling, expensive health system. No wonder there's social disarray over there.
    You can never rule out Salmonella in the guts and free range extensive systems are more likely to pick it up as it's a widespread natural thing in the environment.
    The link already posted shows why we probably ought to be doing it too since there's no health risk from it.

It's rather like the other EU bans on GM and Hormones - a protectionist tactic not based on any actual evidence of risk.
    We may not like it but it's the truth.
    It seems unlikely we'd be flooded with US chickens undercutting since they are ridiculously cheap already.

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Gyles View Post
    What's the difference between chicken from America and pork from Denmark etc.? As far as I'm aware we have some of the highest welfare rules in the world yet we are allowing in (have to allow)meat and meat products from other European countries that don't have the same strict rules as us.

The point I was attempting to make is that the initial event...i.e. the import of poultry meat from a cheap source can have a "knock on" effect on other sectors within our industry.
    Somewhere in the world Liam Fox is going to find a supplier of a food product at a price that Tesco et al will be unable to resist.
    The shock waves in our industry will be difficult to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    The point I was attempting to make is that the initial event...i.e. the import of poultry meat from a cheap source can have a "knock on" effect on other sectors within our industry.
    Somewhere in the world Liam Fox is going to find a supplier of a food product at a price that Tesco et al will be unable to resist.
    The shock waves in our industry will be difficult to survive.
    This sums up my main concerns perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    What's the difference between chicken from America and pork from Denmark etc.? As far as I'm aware we have some of the highest welfare rules in the world yet we are allowing in (have to allow)meat and meat products from other European countries that don't have the same strict rules as us.
    The Danes have stricter rules than us on hygiene and the amount of medicines they use , but have far more technical advisory support mainly down to the fact they have had more health issues with their Pigs . Danish Pig meat is not Chlorinated its that simple as I have said before, the US have a different emphasis on food safety , theirs is short term health ,ours is long term health risks . The big problem for UK producers is that they have a smaller medicine cupboard and have a bigger workload in maintaining hygiene within their sheds to keep the bacteria & viruses at bay without the short cuts .

If i am right and I judge the situation correctly, the effect of brexit is going to be the long term stuffing of British Agriculture. On the one hand Michael Grove is going to ensure that in his own evangelical little way.
    Whilst I agree that huge landowners will lose their unnecessary large subsidies, smaller farmers will go a lot quicker, environmental payments or not.
    Our secretary as I have said before worked in a chicken processing factory. They received frozen chickens for 12 pence each in frozen half tonne blocks.
    This country will import cheap food from all over the world, government , either Labour or especially Conservative will not put tariffs on to increase the price of food in this country, nor will they support farmers to survive that competition.
    I voted Brexit, but still believe it was the right move, but I think over the space of ten years, British Farming is not going to a thing to be involved in.
    Jack Caley

The UK would back out of any trade deal that required it to accept lower standards, such as allowing imports of chlorinated chicken from the US.

Gove agreed that the US would have to “kiss goodbye” to a trade deal if it included such imports. Critically, we need to ensure that we do not compromise those standards. And I said last week when I was speaking to the WWF environmental charity that we need to be in a position as we leave the European Union to be leaders in environmental and in animal welfare standards.

Quote Originally Posted by skinwants View Post
    The UK would back out of any trade deal that required it to accept lower standards, such as allowing imports of chlorinated chicken from the US.

Gove agreed that the US would have to “kiss goodbye” to a trade deal if it included such imports. Critically, we need to ensure that we do not compromise those standards. And I said last week when I was speaking to the WWF environmental charity that we need to be in a position as we leave the European Union to be leaders in environmental and in animal welfare standards.
    So are you going to ban imports of chicken and chicken products from Asia?

Pie in the sky

Polititions follow the votes and cheap food is part of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Barney View Post
    Pie in the sky

Polititions follow the votes and cheap food is part of that.
    I fully agree, that is one of the things farmers have had to bear, the use of subsidies to keep food prices down.
    Jack Caley

You're delusional if you're relying on Gove.

Quote Originally Posted by cmjl View Post
    So are you going to ban imports of chicken and chicken products from Asia?
    Take a walk through a couple of local stores - food, or hardware, or building supplies, or clothing, or . . .

Count the number of items made in the UK VS made elsewhere.

The "new aristocracy" (global corporations) already controls where everything comes from.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Take a walk through a couple of local stores - food, or hardware, or building supplies, or clothing, or . . .

Count the number of items made in the UK VS made elsewhere.

The "new aristocracy" (global corporations) already controls where everything comes from.
    Could not the fact that global corporations control the situation anyway be a good reason for all this talk among politicians of a free market to be thrown out anyway. I believe that the EU politicians are just using the free market and customs union argument as a blackmail so that they can their own fat little beaurocratic powers going .
    I see no reason whatsoever that we could not revert back to the same system that we had when I first started passing through customs borders thirty years ago.
    The free market issue is a smokescreen, the original Brexit vote was about immigration control and taking control back in to our own parliament and courts.
    JackCaley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Could not the fact that global corporations control the situation anyway be a good reason for all this talk among politicians of a free market to be thrown out anyway. I believe that the EU politicians are just using the free market and customs union argument as a blackmail so that they can their own fat little beaurocratic powers going .
    I see no reason whatsoever that we could not revert back to the same system that we had when I first started passing through customs borders thirty years ago.
    The free market issue is a smokescreen, the original Brexit vote was about immigration control and taking control back in to our own parliament and courts.
    JackCaley

Free Market / Free Trade is all about Tax revenues - the more globalized our (the world) economy becomes, the more the global organizations syphon profits to the "best jurisdiction" for claiming profits.

If all other reasoning fails, just follow the money