Thread: Case 4230 brake issues

Case 4230 brake issues

Can anyone help?

I have a Case 4230, got on yesterday to start spreading muck, put the muck spreader on fine, set off with first load of muck and no brakes, the pedal was completely soft and went straight to the bottom just like pressing the clutch. I separated the pedals and the left one goes straight to the bottom but the right on works completely normal, join them together again and they both just go straight to the bottom.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Re: Case 4230 brake issues

Worth checking the keep fill bottle is
    1 - full
    2 - if empty is it getting a feed ?

Usually the problem on these is the piston deals in axle.

Thanks Gapples, excuse my ignorance but what is the keep fill bottle and where will I find it?
    Thanks

Under the bonnet,in front of the windscreen.White or semi-clear small plastic oil tank that should always have oil in it which is supplied from the transmission oil cooler return line.

As Agrimax has said 👍

Thanks, I've checked this and it has about a quarter inch of oil in.

Quote Originally Posted by Agritom View Post
    The fluid level does sound low. (perhaps Gapples can confirm?) It might be worth going through a proper bleed procedure. I know there is probably some thing wrong but it might give you some more clues. I have had our 895 loose pedal when stood for a long time a bleed sorted it.
    I have to say that your symptoms are almost identical to our 895 when nearly new. It was a failed piston seal in the axle. The reason there is not pedal resistance when latched together is the balancing or equalising valve. Effectively the oil is going down the easy route to the weeping seal.

Yes as Pete says that's to low a level, have a look at the bottle, it should have 4 pipes, where are the pipes placed on your tractor ?
    Two pipes go to the master cylinders, one is the drain off for when the bottle is about 3/4 full & the other the feed.
    In the feed pipe there is an orifice with a filter on it, it allows about a 1/3 pint per minute through to keep the bottle topped up, any extra drains off to sump.
    Check how much feed is coming out this pipe.
    Also if your bottle has all 4 pipes in the bottom there is a metal tube inside the drain that can drop down, obviously then the bottle does not keep full.

Thanks Pete and Gapples.

Gapples, all 4 pipes are from the bottom of the bottle.

I've also noted that there seems to be even less oil in the tank now than before, so I started the tractor and the bottle filled full to the top after 10-15 seconds. Does this suggest all is OK within the feed etc to the bottle but as you said probably a seal on the piston?

Thanks Pete and Gapples.

Gapples, all 4 pipes are from the bottom of the bottle.

I've also noted that there seems to be even less oil in the tank now than before, so I started the tractor and the bottle filled full to the top after 10-15 seconds. Does this suggest all is OK within the feed etc to the bottle but as you said probably a seal on the piston?
    Yes, sounds like feed is fine, if you stop the tractor does the bottle empty straight away ?
    If so I suspect that metal tube has slid down the drain tube.
    To be honest I'd be taking the drain tube off & checking this regardless, it will the bigger of the 4 pipes. The metal tube should be in the plastic tube in the bottle if that makes sense.

If that's ok Id put good money on the axle seals needing done.

The level hasn't dropped at all in almost 2 hours, looks like I'm employing someone to do the piston seals then!

Thank you very much for your help.

Piston seals relatively easy to do. I'm based in North Yorkshire so if your having trouble I may not be too far from you

Well boys

I have bought a 4230 with brake issues I got it a relatively good money so took a chance I have read through your posts and have found the bottle, 4 pipes coming out the bottom and all that. But my bottle does not fill up no matter how long you wait after you start it thereís maybe about 10mm of fluid in it. I took off the feed pipe and there is fluid being pumped through and then went to the drain pipe and checked and the ďmetal pipe within the pipeĒ is still pushed into the bottle after that I held my finger to over the connection to stop the fluid coming out the drain and the bottle does fill but once I put the pipe back on nothing back to 10mm. I have bled the brakes before and the bottle has filled but they maybe only last a day of constant use at best. Any ideas what is could be?

The metal tube should be fully pushed up into the plastic bottle, not in the rubber drain pipe. This should allow the bottle to fill to approximately 3/4 full.
    If that's ok check that the drain tube is not linked or nipped somewhere causing an air lock.
    After that clamp off each of the brake feed pipes, one first then the other in case the fluid is draining off down one side or the other.
    You should by the way get about a pint & a half of fluid feeding into to bottle from the feed pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gapples View Post
    The metal tube should be fully pushed up into the plastic bottle, not in the rubber drain pipe. This should allow the bottle to fill to approximately 3/4 full.
    If that's ok check that the drain tube is not linked or nipped somewhere causing an air lock.
    After that clamp off each of the brake feed pipes, one first then the other in case the fluid is draining off down one side or the other.
    You should by the way get about a pint & a half of fluid feeding into to bottle from the feed pipe.
    That is a pint & a half per minute.

Just when you mention the metal pipe is barely into the bottle and has roughly 3 inches showing out the bottom Iíll give it a push in tomorrow and let yous know how I get on

Yea pushed the metal pipe into the bottle and now itís filling up and now when I pumped the peddle the breaks work but leave it for a minute and the peddle goes to the floor again until I pump it up again. Would this just mean I need to bleed the breaks?

Yes, you now need to bleed the brakes & they'll probably be ok after that, the metal tube though will keep dropping down but at least you know the problem.

Yes, you now need to bleed the brakes & they'll probably be ok after that, the metal tube though will keep dropping down but at least you know the problem.
    Would it not be possible to clamp the metal pipe?

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    It won't clamp with jubilee clips, the plastic is pretty tough. You could just take the bottle off & find a glue that would stick the tube into the bottle as they're just a press fit.
    But new bottles are not expensive, at least they weren't, not sure how much now

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    https://www.tractorparts.co.uk/case-...ies%20184627A2

More than I thought ...

It won't clamp with jubilee clips, the plastic is pretty tough. You could just take the bottle off & find a glue that would stick the tube into the bottle as they're just a press fit.
    But new bottles are not expensive, at least they weren't, not sure how much now
    Or find someone with lathe and run a knurling tool carefully in the right place to make it tight? or another thought- how about using a tube cutter to put some "radial ridges" around the tube to do the same?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

that VS the cost of not having reliable brakes?

and what would be the cost if someone got hurt because of faulty brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    that VS the cost of not having reliable brakes?

and what would be the cost if someone got hurt because of faulty brakes?
    Oh you'll get no argument from me, seems a lot for a moulded plastic bottle but as you say in the grand scheme of things....

Also while Iím here anyone know anything about gearboxes, 3rd gear isnít working itíll go into 3rd no crunching or anything like that just no gear at all

Thanks as ever Gapples that is useful to know.