Thread: international 584 losing oil

international 584 losing oil

my international 584 is going through a lot of oil, the joint at the headgasket is wet and there is some oil leaking from exhaust manifold, the engine does not seem to lack power and it starts easily, does not lose any water either, topped the oil up to max mark on dipstick and did two hours work with a topper, left engine to cool rechecked and the oil is down to the min mark, exhaust is a bit smokey, have read that this could be the valve stem oil seals can anyone explain how to change these, i am thinking it is the head gasket due to the oil at the joint,is there a oil port near to the side of the block, has anyone else had this problem with these machines

Re: international 584 losing oil

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    my international 584 is going through a lot of oil, the joint at the headgasket is wet and there is some oil leaking from exhaust manifold, the engine does not seem to lack power and it starts easily, does not lose any water either, topped the oil up to max mark on dipstick and did two hours work with a topper, left engine to cool rechecked and the oil is down to the min mark, exhaust is a bit smokey, have read that this could be the valve stem oil seals can anyone explain how to change these, i am thinking it is the head gasket due to the oil at the joint,is there a oil port near to the side of the block, has anyone else had this problem with these machines
    Are you sure the oil is actually coming from the head gasket and not just running to that point from the exhaust manifold or rocker box? An old 674 we had always had a wet manifold, particularly if on idle work.

Re: international 584 losing oil

Take off the plate under the clutch housing, 2 X 9/16 af size bolts & see if your oil is in there.
    Also have a look up the back of the engine sump .. see if there is oil dripping.
    You can change the valve stem seals with out taking the head off though. You just need to make sure the piston on the cylinder you are doing is tdc before you remove the valve collets & spring.
    Valve stem seals usually leak with very light engine work & or use of cheap oil & lack of changes.