Thread: john deers 6420

john deere 6420

got a john deere 6420 s (50k and front suspension) and at high speeds wanders all over the road and is horrendous to drive. track rod ends are fine and tracking is ok just wondering if anyone has any other things to look at to stop the wandering I would be most grateful as would my boxer shorts!!!
    Last edited by thomas21; 04-08-17 at 07:59 PM.

Re: john deers 6420

Quote Originally Posted by thomas21 View Post
    got a john deere 6420 s (50k and front suspension) and at high speeds wanders all over the road and is horrendous to drive. track rod ends are fine and tracking is ok just wondering if anyone has any other things to look at to stop the wandering I would be most grateful as would my boxer shorts!!!
    The steering on the tractor probably has Ackerman built into it, so the toe should be set to be slightly toed in.

Is the camber adjustable on that tractor? If the roads you are driving on are anything like the ones here (overall crowned in the middle with the black-top worn in a W pattern where vehicles normally drive), then you might want the right side camber (right side in England - left side most other places) to be just a fraction retarded (.1 degree?) from the left side.

other than that, tire pressure and tire wear may affect your handling.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Is there any wear in the hub swivel pins? Usually adjustable by removing shims on most tractors, don't know about a deere ex loader tractors can have a lot of wear in them.

checked tracking and it is slightly toe'd in and all tyre pressures are good. it has got a loader on it so might be swivel pins - is it easy to check them? they look awkward as hell to take out

there was no play in the wheels when it was jacked up though and no clunking when you turn sharply. not sure if it might be the suspension doing it as it only does it intermittantly