Thread: howard rotavator

howard rotavator

hi i am trying to remove the rotor bearing from the non drive side of the rotor on a selectatilth 5ft rotavator but am having no luck with it, the large nut is turning but does not unscrew, has anyone had one of these apart before

Re: howard rotavator

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    hi i am trying to remove the rotor bearing from the non drive side of the rotor on a selectatilth 5ft rotavator but am having no luck with it, the large nut is turning but does not unscrew, has anyone had one of these apart before

Item #245 below??

Sounds like the thread has stripped? Either split it with a chisel where there are cutouts for the split pin or unbolt the side plate and the bolts #235 for the end hub you can then lift it all onto a bench to work on, but I expect you will still have to cut the nut.

Books for old Howard stuff is here- http://www.kongskilde.com/Agriculture/Discontinued/Soil/PTO Harrows/Older Rotavators/Howard Rotavators

Last edited by Footsfitter; 06-08-17 at 02:43 PM.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

i have removed it from the main rotor, there is no split pin has a big washer behind nut with tabs bent up to stop it working loose, dont want to start cutting things up as it is difficult to get new parts, my machine is slightly different to the one pictured, the grease nipple for bearing is in centre of the securing nut, can these nuts still be bought anywhere?

Quote Originally Posted by aleary View Post
    i have removed it from the main rotor, there is no split pin has a big washer behind nut with tabs bent up to stop it working loose, dont want to start cutting things up as it is difficult to get new parts, my machine is slightly different to the one pictured, the grease nipple for bearing is in centre of the securing nut, can these nuts still be bought anywhere?
    Is it an old howard? Sounds odd to have a locktab over a hex nut? Also isn't it all under some sort of cap?- never seen one with a grease nipple in the nut?

Haven't had to source howard stuff for some time, I would of thought that bearings etc should be possible and its surprising what can be remanufactured if the hub is damaged- a good machine shop or Hyd ram repairer should be able to make up a new nut- if the threads knackered on the hub its always possible to get someone to turn the thread down a size and make a new nut to suit- all depends on the cost and if the machine is worth it?

BTW, amended the link above- a bit was missing
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

its pretty old its a series 2 model not sure of year, there was no cap over the grease nipple, i have the machine now so its worth spending a wee bit on it dont do much with it maybe an acre every year, cheaper to fix this one than buy one thats in good working order, bearings are still available