Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Westbury, Wilts
    Posts
    2

    Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

    Afternoon All,
    We are a farm based down in Wiltshire and we know of a Ford 5000 select-o-speed with a Farmhand F11 loader that we would like to purchase on a nearby farm. We know it fairly well and some of its history but have no real idea of value. I've trawled the internet and found a few possible guides (see below), but it seems there's not many of these left around.
    Given the info below can anyone please suggest some sensible values for it that we could offer. whilst we don't want to pay over the odds for quite an old tractor, we also don't want to insult the owner with too low an offer! Many thanks in advance. ...


    1966 Ford 5000, with circa 9000 hours on it. tyres circa 25% tread left, bit perished but hold air.
    It has been on the same farm since new and is in unrestored, farm use condition. For the last 10 years or so its not done much work and typically comes out only at harvest or busy periods. Its nearly always been kept inside, though the paintwork is very well faded but body panels are generally fairly straight.
    Its had the Farmhand loader on it since new as far as we know, with a pto driven pump.
    The engine had a major overhaul around 25 years ago (around 3000 hours ago), re-bore, pistons, reground crank and bearings. seems to run ok.
    Most importantly the select-o-speed box is working correctly. Its on a second hand 'box changed around 20 years ago.
    In general terms its been well maintained and greased, etc, but of course does have reasonable wear and tear. e.g. the rear hydraulics are a 'little tired' in that its spent a lot of its life lifting a counter balance weight for the loader. hence although the hydraulics work when lifting that weight they are self-correcting (that little jerk up on the arms) every 2 secs or so. I guess seals need replacing somewhere...
    Also steering linkages/box are all rather slack from general wear and tear (lots loader work!), but I'm sure various new bushes would rectify that hopefully...


    If we can purchase it, we plan to mechanically attend to worn items, general service, (particularly oil and filter in the select-o-speed) then it would be small amount of use on our small holding doing topping, bit of loader work, but essentially a good retirement home.


    In terms of internet research, I know the select-o-speed is a 'marmite' gearbox...
    * Seen a Ford 5000, Select-o-speed, off-farm condition, sold at cheffins in 2013 for 2,050.
    * Was a ford 5000, (manual, NOT select-o-speed) restored 10 years ago but still looked quite tidy. 1974 so newer with around 5000hrs, sold for 6,500.
    * Another 5000 over in Ireland (again manual, NOT select-o-speed), was a new restoration. Looks extremely tidy and well done. Mint cab and paintwork. so called everything was 100%. Asking price was 9,000. doesn't say if it sold.


    So would this 1966 one, off-farm condition with the loader be worth around 3k or so given wear and tear, but working condition?


    Many thanks for any thoughts or suggestions on this.
    James.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,104

    Re: Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

    Hard one to value. The select o speed was not often liked but perhaps they are very rare now? I have a friend with the non Q cab 6600 with a similar loader + torq con box and is still a back up yard loader. I would guess the bottom line would be at least twice the value of the Cheffins 2013 sale tractor. Bearing in mind the single ownership, provenance and condition. Only my opinion.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Holderness
    Posts
    616

    Re: Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

    Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    Hard one to value. The select o speed was not often liked but perhaps they are very rare now? I have a friend with the non Q cab 6600 with a similar loader + torq con box and is still a back up yard loader. I would guess the bottom line would be at least twice the value of the Cheffins 2013 sale tractor. Bearing in mind the single ownership, provenance and condition. Only my opinion.
    I do not think you can compare the value of this selectaspeed 5000 with a normal gearbox one.
    To my mind it is a collectors item, especially if the gearbox is good.

    We had two selectaspeed tractors , all those years ago, sold one and had the other one converted to manual. Ford did it free of charge.They were great fun for my kids. The other name they had was jump-a-matic!
    Out of nostalgia, and if I had the money I would love to buy that myself.
    I suppose hey were an attempt in tractor development, that we have seen over the last 100 years, not very successful though.
    Would love to see it!
    Jack Caley

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

    David Brown showed their Autodrive on an Implematic tractor at the Smithfield show in the early 1960s but at 100 extra it was considered too expensive and probably ahead of it's time because it would go up and down the box in whatever H/L range the box was in. But it was the forerunner of the Hydrashift box introduced in 1971. Massey Ferguson's "Monkey-Power" was available around the same time but as we all know, it only gave a choice of two clutchless changes in each manual gear and bizarrely you had to change to High for engine braking ! As for the Ford "Jerk-o-Matic" sorry but the novelty soon wore off that for me.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Tasmania
    Posts
    767

    Re: Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

    Quote Originally Posted by zaza View Post
    David Brown showed their Autodrive on an Implematic tractor at the Smithfield show in the early 1960s but at 100 extra it was considered too expensive and probably ahead of it's time because it would go up and down the box in whatever H/L range the box was in. But it was the forerunner of the Hydrashift box introduced in 1971. Massey Ferguson's "Monkey-Power" was available around the same time but as we all know, it only gave a choice of two clutchless changes in each manual gear and bizarrely you had to change to High for engine braking ! As for the Ford "Jerk-o-Matic" sorry but the novelty soon wore off that for me.
    Interesting point zaza about having to shift to MultiPower Hi for engine braking.

    Imagine the stress in the drive train, if you were bowling down hill in Hi at max revs and tried to slow down by shifting to a Lo position which had engine braking. Might be a case of engine breaking!

    JV
    Agtronix - the home of the Weedswiper

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    1,297

    Re: Ford 5000 select-o-speed likely value??

    Quote Originally Posted by john maddock View Post
    Interesting point zaza about having to shift to MultiPower Hi for engine braking.

    Imagine the stress in the drive train, if you were bowling down hill in Hi at max revs and tried to slow down by shifting to a Lo position which had engine braking. Might be a case of engine breaking! JV
    Sorry John but you have got it the wrong way round. When Monkey Power was in Lo you just free wheeled. That's why you had to shift to Hi to get engine braking. So you were bowling down a hill in Hi and shifted to lLo and you reached the bottom sooner than you had planned. Conversely, if you were in Lo at the top of the hill you had to shift to Hi for engine braking which meant that you went up a gear precisely when you wanted to go slower.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •