Thread: blue wire black wire makita drill

farmerclarke

blue wire black wire makita drill

have just got round to getting brushes for my makita drill and some sod has stolen the plug as it is an old drill the flex wire colours are black and blue which is live and which is neutral and will it matter as it isnt earthed any ideas?

roundhill

Re: blue wire black wire makita drill

Sounds like an American model. In which case the black is the "hot" wire i.e the black is the live one.

Exfarmer

surely if it were american it would be 100 volt
    I would suspect it does not matter too much
    but would make the forward reverse be the wrong way
    I would wire it and just test it under no load very quickly
    if it is running correectly it should be OK if not reverse them

RGSP

Quote Originally Posted by farmerclarke View Post
    have just got round to getting brushes for my makita drill and some sod has stolen the plug as it is an old drill the flex wire colours are black and blue which is live and which is neutral and will it matter as it isnt earthed any ideas?
    Black and blue isn't a conventional flex code for any major country I'm aware of: the US is black and white. However, looking through the Wikipedia list for various countries, blue in a flex is only used as neutral, though it used to be used as a live colour for fixed three-phase wiring in the UK.

It does make a bit of difference, because ideally the switch/speed control trigger should be in the incoming live, otherwise the brushes, commutator and wiring of the drill will be live when the drill isn't running. This isn't the end of the world, but if something metallic got inserted into the drill's ventilation holes, there is the possibility of shock or short circuit - not a huge risk, but an unnecessary one. Personally, I'd take enough of the drill's casing apart to see where the wires went, and choose the correct one. In fact I'd probably replace the flex to avoid any problems in future (and to make it fully legal).

Connecting it the wrong way round will NOT make a mains drill rotate the wrong way - they have field coils rather than permanent magnets.

Exfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by RGSP View Post
    Black and blue isn't a conventional flex code for any major country I'm aware of: the US is black and white. However, looking through the Wikipedia list for various countries, blue in a flex is only used as neutral, though it used to be used as a live colour for fixed three-phase wiring in the UK.

It does make a bit of difference, because ideally the switch/speed control trigger should be in the incoming live, otherwise the brushes, commutator and wiring of the drill will be live when the drill isn't running. This isn't the end of the world, but if something metallic got inserted into the drill's ventilation holes, there is the possibility of shock or short circuit - not a huge risk, but an unnecessary one. Personally, I'd take enough of the drill's casing apart to see where the wires went, and choose the correct one. In fact I'd probably replace the flex to avoid any problems in future (and to make it fully legal).

Connecting it the wrong way round will NOT make a mains drill rotate the wrong way - they have field coils rather than permanent magnets.
    Thats interesting and I am sure corect advice
    I did have wolf drill years ago that went wrong and I know that particular drill just reversed live and neutral to go backwards
    I had assumed they all did but have never tried it since

farmerclarke

thanks for the replies i am sure when i opened the handle both wires went through the switch i will check again it has two speed settings worked with an electric switch so i dont know if that complicates things it has been well kept and worth repairing so it might be worth letting an expert look it over to be safe

candor

Is it one of those baby blue makitas? If so I will have a look.

farmerclarke

dont know what colour is baby blue but it has blue plastics and a metal gearbox with a ring behind the chuck which works the hammer action if you could tell me where the wires go i would appreciate that

EngineMan

Is there a model No on it...?

RGSP

If both flex wires go straight to the switch, I don't think it matters very much at all which is which.