Thread: Sharp clutch mf6465

Sharp clutch mf6465

noticed when mowing the clutch can be sharp when you de clutch on headlands,

obviously the tractor was hot nad at 2k revs but if you de-clutched shortly after pressing it down it would bite really high like literally at top, if the pedal was down for literally 1 second longer it would de-cluch normally?

Almost like pressure had that second to drop or something?

Read similar stuff on here with 6400 series and stories of cleaning some solenoids etc?

Anyone got any ideas as it was really annoying on headlands if you were to quick

do they have a clutch senor or potenshiometer?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Sharp clutch mf6465

Sounds like the old Massey clutch pedal switch problem.One of the switches is sticking.If instead of using the clutch pedal you try the shuttle lever it will probably behave normally.Switch not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    Sounds like the old Massey clutch pedal switch problem.One of the switches is sticking.If instead of using the clutch pedal you try the shuttle lever it will probably behave normally.Switch not a big deal.
    just got a switch to fit,

had a look and there 3 switches and a potentiometer 2 switches appear to be just open or closed the small metal ones then a larger black one what appears to be a 2 stage switch depending on clutch position operated when releasing pedle from floor

Ive just got the small metal one so not sure which to change which failed in your experience?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Any of the switches can fail as can less often the potentiometer, if you had another tractor the same you could swop them about to find the faulty one. From memory the one that causes most problems is the double one that is like a sort of NO/NC changeover dump switch. If gets sticky it keeps the clutch dumped when the pedal is raised and the pedal can be well onto the feathering part of the potentiometer before is suddenly springs out giving you a sudden jolt into partial engagement. Ours is a 5460 so may not be exactly the same as your but should be similar in principle of operation. In my opinion the switches fail so often and are so potentially dangerous when they do that there should have been a range wide mandatory legal recall and all the switches replaced with quality ones. There are plenty of high quality IP67/68 switches on the market for humble money that are rated for millions of operating cycles that there's no excuse for using cheap crap for a safety critical application. Bean counters at work no doubt, the same ones that went for that fantastically reliable electric lift pump too. Nearly every tractor experiences clutch pedal switch failure at least once,some many times. They don't appear to like dust. One is just at the top of the pedal to indicate that you have your foot on the pedal, can't remember the other switch functions. Here some stuff from the manual for our 5460 with the warning it may not be exactly the same as yours but should give you an idea of the principles. I think the very bottom switch is part of the safety start circuit but I'd have to check to be sure. I think you've got the wrong switch it will more likely be the fancy double one. If it's not the switches then it'll be something dear I'm afraid. When ours went it was like a pogo stick to drive when it got warm but the shuttle still worked fine. Get it sorted before you run over someone as they get progressively worse and more dangerous. We got an outside mechanic to fix ours so we would not have any liability as the behaviour of the tractor got scary_ With revs on it might or might not have moved off and could jump off anytime thereafter potentially lurching the drivers foot off the pedal etc. Not a bad machine just one s####y part.

I'm led to believe that newer models than our 6400 series have simplified the problem of ID'ing the faulty switch because all of the switches are now in one unit - one switch packs up & you have to change them all
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

ffs think i have got wrong one will have to ring em to see if they will swap it, got it direct from farming parts online

its smooth as with forward reverser spot on just when you engage clutch... and as you say worse when hot