Thread: Compressor problem

Compressor problem

I have an old road compressor made by consolidated pneumatic for blowing off the combine. This morning I started it as normal but it seemed there was no drive to the actual compressor does anyone know what sort of coupling it would have to the engine, im thinking some sort of viscous coupling but can't see anywhere to top up the oil, or is some sort of slip clutch more likely?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Compressor problem

There's likely to be a large rubber "donut" cushion drive between the engine and compressor which can fail (it did in mine).Can be expensive from the machine maker /agent but should be available for a lot less from the likes of a bearing supplier so it's worthwhile measuring the old one and looking for part numbers on it, It'll probably be handier to remove the compressor from the engine rather than the engine from the compressor to check and repair. Shouldn't be a big job for a competent home mechanic There may well be an inspection plate on the bell housing that you could remove to see if that's what's gone. if there's no inspection plate a large hole might be drilled or cored to make one. If there is a rubber coupling it could look something like these or have 3 holes axially and three holes radially like the old DB or Leyland hydraulic pump couplings. They perish with age or oil contamination and running the compressor at basically an open hole flat out puts the full engine power through them and finishes them off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...pling&_sacat=0

Unfortunately a lot of the older sizes are now obsolete and that then requires some modification to get around which then becomes an issue of whether it's cost effective on an old machine.This is the sort of design that was in mine though it was likely a different size:

http://www.charnleys.com/part/leylan...lic-pump-drive

Not a cheap bit of rubber, this design needs to be squeezed to get the holes to align, usually a couple of jubilee clips joined together around the ring then tightened does the trick as long as it's not minus five at the time. There are several other possible variations on a flex drive including splined nylon / hard rubber so you won't know for sure until you look inside.

Thanks for the reply tp, I've got the compressor off and there were 3 sheared off studs in the flywheel and 3 larger worn holes in the drive plate, I rooted round where the machine has been stood and found a stud which I'm assuming should have a rubber sleeve in one side? I suppose the next step is to visit the local bearing supplier and see what they can source

From your photograph I would hazard a reasonable guess that it had this sort of thing originally:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DRIVE-Shaft-...-/171025210053

This is just an example picture, it might have looked a bit different. Unfortunately there seems to be little rubber evidence left for parts retrieval. I think you bolted it onto one side with three screws and then as you pushed the halves together the three tapered bolts screwed into the other side slid into the other three holes. Once the rubber failed it ran on until all the studs sheared from the vibration due to lack of cushioning. More than a bit of extrapolation from what little evidence is left. First step would be to get the broken studs out and then see if they could be made up out of new bolts tapered on a grinder or such. You can tell a fair bit about what was in it by putting it together and looking through that inspection cover in case it was just an early crude three pins driving in three holes job. Does look as though you might not be the first "explorer" by the tabs on the flywheel bolts. At the end of the day three good quality bolts with nuts to support the base would get it running again, you could even drill out the broken ones rethread for a bigger size, even the opposite flange could have beefier holes drilled. Certainly an option if parts are dear. Could be handier to remove the flywheel to work at the broken studs, wonder was that why it was off before in bygone days?

I think its that old and will be simpler than a doughnut coupling.

IIRC they had something like a metalastic bush in each of 3 holes 120degrees apart and then there should of been 3 of those drive pins in the flywheel that simply pushed into the bushes in the airside flange

bushes would be something like this possibly

I'll see if I can get in touch with a couple of old school plant fitters who may know where to find vintage spares
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

I think you're right, it looks more of a pin and buffer set up, there's only about 20 mm gap between the flywheel and driveplate. I've ordered some studs and bushes off eBay so I'll see how it goes when they arrive. The only problem is whether to grind down the 5/8 stud to fit the 12mm hole in the bush or drill the bush to fit the stud....

If you have any trouble getting the studs out another option would be to weld three or four lugs onto the flywheel and three onto the other flange and fit one of those "spider rubbers" you get in some slurry pumps between the gearbox and main shaft. Cheap and effective,You could even space out the bell housing with washers if needed. Anyone remember what the rubber is called? Our old NC pump has one, there's two cast flanges with taperlocks and the rubber between.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post

Simple than that, forget any form of coupling, IIRC they were simple flanged rubber bushes pushed into the airside hub and the drivepins were screwed into the flywheel, align pins to bushes, fit belhousing/compressor guiding pins into rubbers.

That simple!

Dug in the old stuff filing cabinet and found a book from way back for a very old cp compressor we bought from North London and used in the 80's . Still have it just for the Ford 2711E engine as they are getting a bit rare now.

heres a general picture of the compressor

They call the bushes Silentbloc bushs, which as we thought are the usual twin steel sleeve items like these- http://www.silentblocbush.com/silent-block-bushes.html

Not sure how many you should of had in your set up- What model cp was it by the way?
    Last edited by Footsfitter; 19-08-17 at 10:42 PM.

I've really no idea what model it is, I bought it and a more modern one at an auction, the engine was partially dismantled but I managed to get it going and it had twice as much blow as the modern one so I sold the other one on. Unfortunately there are no plates anywhere so I have no information about it. I know the engine is an old ford industrial and I'm guessing it dates from mid 60s? The one in the case in the pictures is in a similar condition to mine when I got it.
    https://goo.gl/photos/MBxzb7oQ6wSGk8BA7
    https://goo.gl/photos/WeFTLJgDKikoHogz7

I would really appreciate a scan of your manual if you ever get chance,

1st- I've fixed the thumbnail link in my last post so you can see the image properly now if you click on it.

2nd- Yours is nearly the same- ours is blue! I can't remember where the ID plate was, but the air receiver/tank would be a likely place, or perhaps the funny air intake on top of the compressor housing?

I'll see if I can fit in scanning the key pages from the manual- it covers all CP compressors from back then including factory type ones with 3phase drive motors.

i do have a few lead plugs that go in the valve on the underside of the compressor- I think there is a small nylon tube to the controller valve that operates the throttle, if its gets to hot the plug melts and it either stops or just idles - can't remember which now!!

I'll have to defer to my senior with a manual (that thing was born before I was) . I could however have won on the my compressor's tattier than your's thread. It is actually quite mechanically sound apart from a liking for sticking the rack on the injectors when parked up which a good rattling with a handheld air chisel in the right place cures.Always stored indoors so the covers got binned as access was much better without. In use extensively this year cutting concrete for repairs.

Well it's back together, it took a while due to being busy, waiting for parts etc but it was pretty straightforward. 2 of the snapped off studs came out easy with extractors but one had to be drilled and retapped. A length of threaded bar was cut into 3 then ground down to fit the bush centers and locked in with a half nut. The machine was reassembled but due to the wear on the holes the bushes kept flying out when the engine was turned over so I tacked the metal centers to the stud through the inspection hole. Good as new! Cheers for the advice
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2yr8rj93AYOgcgc33

Quote Originally Posted by mickeyluv View Post
    Well it's back together, it took a while due to being busy, waiting for parts etc but it was pretty straightforward. 2 of the snapped off studs came out easy with extractors but one had to be drilled and retapped. A length of threaded bar was cut into 3 then ground down to fit the bush centers and locked in with a half nut. The machine was reassembled but due to the wear on the holes the bushes kept flying out when the engine was turned over so I tacked the metal centers to the stud through the inspection hole. Good as new! Cheers for the advice
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/2yr8rj93AYOgcgc33
    Well done! thats a result, even though its old they were a good simple machine.

I have the shop manual here at home but things have been hectic to say the least, will sort out either a scan or copies later on asap.