Thread: Another wind rent

walter melon

Another wind rent

50kw machine 2500/yr in year 1 rising to 8000/yr by year 20? Worth the hassle or not? Average income over the 20 years would be just over a 100k before tax.

Courier

Re: Another wind rent

If you are going to have the hassle why not own the turbine

Farmer Brown

If you are going to have the potential hassle of a developer operating a turbine on your land then i think you need to be getting more than that. Also 2,500 is only about 5% gross of output (fag packet calculation) for an endurance.

I think that endurances are too small for rental deals like that. The thing that often stops wind turbine developements from a planning perspective is turbine height, rated capacity is pretty much irrelevant from that perspective (not getting into grids here). So if you are going to have a developer you want them to put the highest capacity turbine on your land they can because by signing up with them you will be effectively scuppering any chance you have of doing anything yourself in the future.

Is 2,500 a year worth losing the opportunity cost of doing anything yourself? The answer is probably not.

walter melon

We won't be in a position to do anything ourselves for about 5 years due to lots of other things going on tying money up, by which time the FIT will be history and the job won't stack up. Hence thinking well we get into it now somehow and have part of the better FIT via a rent and some free electricity.

Farmer Brown

fair enough if you don't want to tie money up in a turbine but i think you need to speak to a developer who wants to build something bigger than an endurance..

depending on turbine size, location and gross %age rental (where you want to be starting at 10% as a minimum) you could get far far more than 2500/yr for a single turbine.

honest john

Quote Originally Posted by walter melon View Post
    50kw machine 2500/yr in year 1 rising to 8000/yr by year 20? Worth the hassle or not? Average income over the 20 years would be just over a 100k before tax.
    I am involved in a 5 Meg farm.
    i cant see 50 kw being worth the hassle. Unless you do it your self. There are people out there who can do the hassle bit for you.
    You will get involved with option, lease, agents, lawyers. Decommissioning.
    More offen 2 to 10 Meg.

If i did it again i would work with a Wind agent, and do it our selfs. There are investors out there.
    Since getting involved in this i have come across Companys that can do all this for you.

PM

Penmoel

Quote Originally Posted by Farmer Brown View Post
    If you are going to have the potential hassle of a developer operating a turbine on your land then i think you need to be getting more than that. Also 2,500 is only about 5% gross of output (fag packet calculation) for an endurance.

I think that endurances are too small for rental deals like that. The thing that often stops wind turbine developements from a planning perspective is turbine height, rated capacity is pretty much irrelevant from that perspective (not getting into grids here). So if you are going to have a developer you want them to put the highest capacity turbine on your land they can because by signing up with them you will be effectively scuppering any chance you have of doing anything yourself in the future.

Is 2,500 a year worth losing the opportunity cost of doing anything yourself? The answer is probably not.

Neighbours here have just been refused on a 50kw Endurance on a 35m mast, I think Dulas engineering were putting it up at their cost with the farm getting a rental income and free electric.

Looks to be going to appeal now , will wait and see.