Thread: Spring beans with Claydon questions

strip-till-phil

Spring beans with Claydon questions

I'm going to try some spring beans for the first time (15 acres )so have a couple of questions

Ground is a medium/clay loam, was in long term grass, sprayed off & Sumo trio'd last back end, will be sprayed off again pre drill

Drill is Claydon SR

What sort of seed rates should I be looking at?

What depth shall I put the seed?

Should I rake or roll after?

What sort of yield could I expect from a decent crop?

TAI

Badshot

Re: Spring beans with Claydon questions

Evening Phil,

No experience with a claydon but plenty with spring beans. I have found 35 seeds on my heavy ground is plenty and a few more on the lighter ground so maybe 40-45. Mine went in 2 weeks ago at 3-4 inches deep. If the ground is slotted then a rake will benefit as the rooks won't know where to dig, they will follow the slots like a slug. If it looks like yours normally does there will be no benefit. I like to roll as the pea and bean weevil seems worse in a rougher seedbed, after the 30mm rain post drilling this year mine are left unrolled.

Yield? Worst 35cwt, best 3 tonne, average somewhere about 2.25.

What variety have you chosen?

strip-till-phil

Hi Mark thanks for the info,

Variety is Fuego.....any good?

Badshot

Plenty of Fuego grown, personally when it came down to it the merchants always preferred my Nile so I stopped growing fuego as the acreage one year was too small for two varieties. (Got 3 this year as I am trying some new ones) Fuego has the edge on mildew resistance, they're a good bean for human consumption that will yield well. They will still sell well enough if you manage to keep the bruchids out.

Good luck with them.

Clive

Feugo area very good variety

drill 235kg/ha

we never roll them - rolling can be a big mistake for beans on our land

wil do very well behind the Claydon a long as you get some rain at flowering