Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What can we argue about?

JD_Kid

Re: What can we argue about?

naaa it's not the religion that it comes across as .. sure there are a few saying burn the plow subsoiler chisel plow few saying discs are king and rule the DD world other side saying tines work better

we should be planting cover crops ( realy the fact is tillers should be planting the cover crops and should have been for years )

should be have wider rotations yep can't say i have seen many of the cropping farmers saying about there grass seed or clover seed crops and not many have be saying about there alfalfa hay crops in the 3rd year alot seem to talk about there WW there WW there WW etc etc etc etc rotation or may splash out try some beans or OSR just to change things

in simple terms 1/2 the stuff writen on here i would take with a grain of salt much the same as the baby in the barn story it's a good read but i would not base my life of farming system on it

shakerator

[QUOTE=peasantman;878392]I would say the plough is more of a religion than DD.
    "We plough the fields and scatter..."
    QUOTE]

Perhaps our good archbishop has been reading the dd forums.......

Willscale

I'd say you need Systems Thinking rather than calling it a religion.

I think observing natural cycles and the way the environment in which we farm conducts itself and it is usually in within cycles or wholes. Mineral, Water, Carbon etc all cycle and I think to gain maximum efficiency - because at the end of the day it is all about efficiency above anything else - the better you can get those cycles to work ie making them more self-sustaining then I think the easier it is to manage the system the way you want to and put a bit of money in your back pocket and build the resource.

As its Summer coming along I think I'd prefer it if we could have Mankini's instead of robes please..

No Till Alliance Committee Meeting 2012:
    http://www.clothestopose.co.uk/ekmps...kiniAd1(1).jpg

FarmerDan

Quote Originally Posted by Willscale View Post
    As its Summer coming along I think I'd prefer it if we could have Mankini's instead of robes please..

I seriously doubt this strategy's going to improve your love life, but give it a go by all means...

JD_Kid

yea to a point will to fully be sustaining there is 3 parts to it land/water/air , profit and community/family/socal

because at the end of the day it is all about efficiency above anything else that should have been happening years ago and to be fair the carrot from way back in the 1940's has a lot to answer for

britsh agri would have been leaner and meaner better ideas would be in use more forward thinking and not looked apon as the barstard love child we pay to keep quite in the corrner

back'o'beyond

I'm out.

Maybe I'm more of a min-till type of a guy than I thought!

[ B'o'b wonders off to rummage through the bin to try and find that SIMBA catalog. ]

Jim Bullock

Will
    No wonder you have been dumped...if you have been surfing the net looking at "unsuitable male (and obviously gay) beachwear" ....you need to get yourself a decent Welsh girlfriend....I forget how the saying goes but it ends up with ...... canny in the market and frantic in bed...!

Badshot

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Bullock View Post
    Will
    No wonder you have been dumped...if you have been surfing the net looking at "unsuitable male (and obviously gay) beachwear" ....you need to get yourself a decent Welsh girlfriend....I forget how the saying goes but it ends up with ...... canny in the market and frantic in bed...!
    Don't they go BAAAA

I'll get my coat now............

The ruminant

Flipping heck, Will. It's Sunday morning. Links like that should be banned

(I've just had a horrible thought: How many website images did you have to trawl through before you found this one)

fred

The. Trouble I see with the seeder unit, is that is has no independent depth control,uses a latex cover to prevent seed release,it does however prefer to plant into wet fertile ground , but is limited by tha amount of seed avalaible per unit,limiting output per ha

It also has a massive issue with the ground it is seeding into and may on occasion be unableto work due to machine malfunction (thereare add ons available to overcome this). The biggest problem is seed release and has been known to dump all the seed on the headlands.

Willscale

Quote Originally Posted by The ruminant View Post
    Flipping heck, Will. It's Sunday morning. Links like that should be banned

(I've just had a horrible thought: How many website images did you have to trawl through before you found this one)
    All I did was type into google images "Jim Bullock, Simon Chiles, Simon Cowell and George Renner" into google and it came up

marco