Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No till: preparing for a wet year

james lloyd

Re: No till: preparing for a wet year

Quote Originally Posted by Clive View Post
    ours is a 4m - reckon it will easy crack 100ac a day though

19k is a very good price but depends on a lot - I wouldn't want one without gutlers after what I have seen today and there is a lot on these drills that can be in bad condition

also Greenstar ready drills are worth a premium - it's the best drill control I have seen from looking at it so far much better than the standard accord box I reckon
    we can drill 20ha a day with a 3m, and that is filling in the yard and stopping for lunch.

Jim Bullock

Quote Originally Posted by james lloyd View Post
    we can drill 20ha a day with a 3m, and that is filling in the yard and stopping for lunch.
    Is that with a JD 750A ? We can only mange about the same with our Kuhn SD 4000...don't stop for lunch...but do come back to the yard to fill (which is sometimes a 10km (6 mile round trip) but it is quicker than taking out a trailer with the seed and then another trip with the telehandler..The Kuhn holds 1500kgs of seed so in many cases its enough for half a days drilling (I rarely get a full days drilling - always seem to be loading grain lorries -rare in 2012 - or taking delivery of seeds, fert/lime/chemicals)...

Neddy Flanders

ours is a 4m - reckon it will easy crack 100ac a day though

19k is a very good price but depends on a lot - I wouldn't want one without gutlers after what I have seen today and there is a lot on these drills that can be in bad condition

also Greenstar ready drills are worth a premium - it's the best drill control I have seen from looking at it so far much better than the standard accord box I reckon
    Clive, how many acres do you intend drilling with a 4m 750a? Is it new or second hand? I had a 4m for 5 years before moving to 6m. 4m seemed to take forever to drill 100acs. 6m does it before tea. Remember very little daylight in October, especially if you can't start drilling before 10 because of dew.

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by Neddy Flanders View Post
    Clive, how many acres do you intend drilling with a 4m 750a? Is it new or second hand? I had a 4m for 5 years before moving to 6m. 4m seemed to take forever to drill 100acs. 6m does it before tea. Remember very little daylight in October, especially if you can't start drilling before 10 because of dew.
    second hand - will drill about 1800ac a year, only has about 1200ac wheat in front of it right now as anything else looking like spring breaks unless we see a dramatic turn around in the weather

Driver isn't scared of the dark but I think he will do 100ac a day if we back it up well with seed, it flew along in our little test run last week and it very fast to spin around on headlands, worst case scenario I will drive it in a second shift running it 24hrs but I doubt things will come to that

I didn't want to invest too much until I was happy it all worked well - way I see it is I could probably sell this drill for what I paid if it's either a total disaster or I want a bigger one

However if I did want more capacity it would probably take the form of a second drill, maybe tined to cover all situations but maybe a second 750a ?? Not needing a lot of power opens up so many options - you can buy 2 160hp tractors for the price of a monster that will pull a 6m rapid or strip till drill !! and be taking a heap less weight onto your soils !

fred

Did you drill rape with it this year

Clive

Quote Originally Posted by fred View Post
    Did you drill rape with it this year
    no - we still have a hang over from our old system in the form of a 390hp tractor and a 6m simba solo with stocks seeder

as I was already committed to a large sewage cake tonnage on our OSR land that HAS to be incorporated within 24hrs we kept it this year for that job - as it turned out I didn't run the solo legs down as it was too wet and would have made a mess so I used it as the lightest set of discs I could just working the top 2 or 3 " - OSR is all up and away now and looking good after a look around today

plan is to drop the big tractor and solo for next year though and probably not use sewage sludge or sell straw so the 750 will drill osr next year if it's all look reasonably successful that is !!

Willscale

no - we still have a hang over from our old system in the form of a 390hp tractor and a 6m simba solo with stocks seeder

as I was already committed to a large sewage cake tonnage on our OSR land that HAS to be incorporated within 24hrs we kept it this year for that job - as it turned out I didn't run the solo legs down as it was too wet and would have made a mess so I used it as the lightest set of discs I could just working the top 2 or 3 " - OSR is all up and away now and looking good after a look around today

plan is to drop the big tractor and solo for next year though and probably not use sewage sludge or sell straw so the 750 will drill osr next year if it's all look reasonably successful that is !!
    I have found it a bit of a struggle to get it as shallow as I wanted with rape. Boots in middle hole but discs were new - too deep in the slot and slug heaven.

Neddy Flanders

second hand - will drill about 1800ac a year, only has about 1200ac wheat in front of it right now as anything else looking like spring breaks unless we see a dramatic turn nario I will drive it in a second shift running it 24hrs but I doubt things will come to that

I didn't want to invest too much until I was happy it all worked well - way I see it is I could probably sell this drill for what I paid if it's either a total disaster or I want a bigger one

However if I did want more capacity it would probably take the form of a second drill, maybe tined to cover all situations but maybe a second 750a ?? Not needing a lot of power opens up so many options - you can buy 2 160hp tractors for the price of a monster that will pull a 6m rapid or strip till drill !! and be taking a heap less weight onto your soils !
    Blimey 1200 with a 4m , I'd get on with it. 2" of rain comingj this weekend.

Clive

another 2"

so what ? won't make it any wetter than it is already and has been for the last 3 months !

I would rather be drilling it in November for the first time than March for the second !!

if conditions stay as they are there is nothing we can do regardless of drill so we just have to hope things do come dryer at some point this year

s.chiles

Slapping it into the ground in unfavourable conditions is doomed to failure.