Thread: jcb 409

jcb 409

I have an elderly 409 with scrappy tyres, but good enough for my occasional use. One appears to have the tread separating from the inner cover and deflates in different places, I am going to buy 2 part worns for that axle, would that be OK or would I need to replace all 4?

Re: jcb 409

Quote Originally Posted by rangerover View Post
    I have an elderly 409 with scrappy tyres, but good enough for my occasional use. One appears to have the tread separating from the inner cover and deflates in different places, I am going to buy 2 part worns for that axle, would that be OK or would I need to replace all 4?
    Has it permanent 4wd (possible) or even a differential between front and rear axles (unlikely) ?

Rule of thumb if its 4wd all the time is that its best to try and match up tyres on both axles to reduce wind-up in the shafts between them especially if there is road work involved.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

409 (JCB?)

http://www.rmcallistertractors.com/m...etails/?id=178

sort of thing,
    is indeed permanent 4wd.If it's mostly used in the yard it wont matter too much as there's usually a difference in the rolling radius between the loaded end and the rear with a bit of weight on. If you can find a tyre with the same rolling radius as the others all the better. For occasional use it's neither here nor there but on a lot of road work it adds unnecessary strain to the diffs , propshafts etc .If the replacement is a bit big you could run it softish to make the rolling radius less but best keep it at the rear as it's no fun discovering a soft wheel on the loaded end with a heavy load across a slope. If the replacement is a bit small blow it up good and hard. The biggest problem I saw with 409's was the poor centre pivot which can be an expensive day out when it fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    Has it permanent 4wd (possible) or even a differential between front and rear axles (unlikely) ?

Rule of thumb if its 4wd all the time is that its best to try and match up tyres on both axles to reduce wind-up in the shafts between them especially if there is road work involved.
    Yes that is my concern, it is 4WD all the time. Little road work though. I know where there are a set(4) for 600 half worn, but two less than half that. I haven't seen them yet but I also know where there are new for 235 each, trouble is I only use the thing occasionally, it is used much more than the tractor.