Thread: Sheep down and can't stand up

Sheep down and can't stand up

Hi, I have 2 sheep down at the moment, one a 6 month old lamb, the other a 4 yr old ewe. Both found collapsed and with possible fluke, lamb fluked and wormed since discovering and she has improved in herself but has been down now for nearly a week, the ewe was found weak and collapsed and has now been down for 3 days. Both are eating and drinking ok, but my concern is that due to the length of time they've been laid down, the lamb in particular can't take her weight and I'm worried about tendon issues, as it seems like her legs won't bend properly without the tendons feeling way too tight and stretched. Has anyone had experience of getting one back walking, or issues with leg/tendon problems from being down too long? Is it an irreversible issue, once they are that tight ? I have time and the will to keep at it, but not if I'm completely wasting my time and there's no chance.

Re: Sheep down and can't stand up

With chronic fluke it will take a long time for the liver to repair itself even if you've successfully killed the fluke. Sounds like there's more going on there, though.

We had a few fat suffolks shut inside on straw and a mineral lick prior to flushing. The day after we put them back out one went off it's legs for no apparent reason. In a 'scattergun' approach I gave it PMD, a large injection of multivit, a dose of twin-lamb remedy and some antibiotics. The next morning it was running about like nothing had happened

The cure was way too quick for it to be the antibiotics so I came to the conclusion it was some sort of deficiency. Maybe it hadn't been taking the mineral lick

I meant to ask the vet about it the other day, but I forgot

Well the lamb solved its problem by turning up its toes ! Just the ewe now, who has an appetite and is filling out a bit, but really weak wobbly and uncoordinated legs and also neck. I'm off to get trace elements drench in a minute, to see if that will help, I'm really not sure if once they've lost the strength and coordination in the legs, if it ever returns?

Well the lamb solved half the problem by turning up its toes this morning Just the ewe to try and sort out now, I'm getting trace elements to drench it with, I just don't know if the fact it's so weak and uncoordinated is irreversible, or if it might pay off if I keep at it....