Thread: case david brown 1390 power steering pot keep emptying

case david brown 1390 power steering pot keep emptying

can any one help have a friend who now got a case david brown 1390 & when he fills the power steering pot up with hydraulic oil soon as the tractor gets warm and when he has 1800+ revs on the oil from the bowl is going up the breather tube and then out of the engine breather pipe, i said it may be the filter in the bowl but im not sure s he said the steering is very good even on tick over its just when he revs it the oil comes out the breather tube on the top of the bowl, i did also say try putting engine oil in the power steering pump but im not sure what oil they should have in them any help would be handy as hes now got this tractor and down want to run the power steering pump dry

Re: case david brown 1390 power steering pot keep emptying

I suggest you go here and ask that question because there are so many variables. Is it an English tractor or an export ? Is it 2wd or 4wd ? If 4wd is it the Carraro or DB front axle ? https://dbtc.co.uk/phpBB3/index.php That link will take you straight to the Forum, by-passing the front page. But you will still have to register before you can ask on the Forum but please give more details about the tractor.

I have worked and used DB tractors for over 50 years and have never put anything other than engine oil in any power assisted or hydrostatic steering without any incident at all such as leaking pumps, deteriorating ram seals etc. The books tell me I'm wrong to do that but it's much "wrong-er" to use what is reccomended i.e. TCH fluid which is a hydraulic transmission fluid and then have it get into the timing case and then go round the engine like it can (and does) on the later systems.

i cannot see the point in wasting time going onto a david brown forum. what makes the different if it 2wd or 4wd or what axle it has its got nothing to do with it, they have the same pumps on 10 series fords ect so all the questions you asked have nothing to do with any thing i asked

Quote Originally Posted by ford 7840 View Post
    i cannot see the point in wasting time going onto a david brown forum. what makes the different if it 2wd or 4wd or what axle it has its got nothing to do with it, they have the same pumps on 10 series fords ect so all the questions you asked have nothing to do with any thing i asked
    O.K. Do you have the spares book and official DB workshop manual ? I do.

yes he do

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

It sounds as though there are several possibilities that could be combining or acting alone, first the filter might be blocked, it never gets changed as it's a pig to do on the 4 cylinder models. Inside the reservoir there is a small circular filter element that filters the returning oil. If it's not been changed for a long time it can cause significant backpressure on the return oil which goes through another small reservoir higher up to "calm it down" and separate any air. The second reservoir adds bit of extra capacity too. There are a number of things to check, first replace the hoses around the high up reservoir as they are just like water hose and perish and leak oil out or air in usually the former, any good quality flexible similar hose does.If the hoses are bad they can let air in and that allows the oil in the top reservoir to run down into the lower one when parked. That will eliminate any inward air leaks when running. Next change the power steering filter which is inside the bowl The bowl pulls off once the rear long bolt is undone, the snag is on a 1390 you will need to remove the fuel lift pump to get enough clearance to get the reservoir bowl off. If you are unlucky enough to have a DB loader the chassis bracket for that has to come off before you can access to either. Sometimes the filter ruptures and bits get into the system somewhere like the coarse strainer in the pump but that usually gives different symptoms. The commonest fault of all is for the pump shaft to be worn in the bearings which usually puts the steering oil into the engine, the life can be extended by running the steering on engine oil which works but is a bit heavy to steer in winter when cold but even that becomes too frequent to top up. Sometimes if the breather for the engine in the tappet cover is blocked the engine pushes fumes through the pump seal and forces the pump oil up the wee pump breather pipe into the main engine breather pipe and out the main engine breather so that needs looking at. It's common for the pump just to be worn out and need replaced. I never found fitting seal kits to be worthwhile once the shaft and bearings were worn as a seal kit can be a significant part of the price of the new pump. If you are lucky you might have an inexpensive blockage in the tappet cover but that kinda indicates poor servicing. There is a sort of gauze in some models at the tappet cover but I can't remember if it's in a 1390 or not. The whole lot could be blocked solid with gunge if poorly looked after. One other thing are you following the correct filling procedure? I think the steering has to be a certain way when filling the reservoir otherwise you end up with far too much oil in the system.I think it's ram fully retracted and engine running but I'll have to check that to be sure. There used to be an instruction sticker on the pump or around it for the filling procedure but it's too long ago that I worked at one to remember. If you are missing the wee plastic pipe that runs from the main power steering resevoir to the tappet cover breather outlet that would give your symptoms too, also if you have the wrong power steering pump fitted from say a ford because it was cheaper you will not have the small steel pipe outlet on the reservoir for the breather. Also you should have the upper reservoir in the picture, they've been discarded by cowboys too over the years. These pictures are from an engine rebuild I did one time and unfortunately there are none of the tappet cover but the breather pipe that runs from the power steering reservoir to the engine breather assy on the tappet cover is number 22 in the second last picture. it needs to be there and leak free. The steering filter is number 18 The breather pipe 22 goes from the pump reservoir into where the blanking plug 31 is indicated for manual steering in the last image of the tappet cover and breather. There is no gauze in it but all holes need to be clear and gunge free in the tappet cover outlet.

spoke to him tonight he said theres no sticker on the pump, the pump looks original and tractor hrs are under 6000. i know his has that tin bowl behind the pump so that must be holding oil as well im thinking if hes filled the pump up to the filler plug and not got the wheels on a lock one way or the other he might of over filled it but he did take the filler plug out and looked inside and said its about 1" below the plug threads now but is not leaking into the sump as hes had it about 3 weeks and filled it up when he got it. i think changing the filter is a good idea to start with and then go from there, the pipe from the pump up to the rocker cover is like plastic so that wont perish.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

When you have the cover off to change the filter have a good look at the inlet to the pump in case there is anything wedged in it, it a filtered return setup so vulnerable to contamination when topping up. Over the years I've found moths, hawthorn berries, straws, seed heads and grain in all sorts of places they ought not to be. Whatever can fall into an open container or filler really.