Thread: Sporting Rights/Land to rent for shooting

Sporting Rights/Land to rent for shooting

Good evening all

I am a semi-retired (finance background) 42 year old firearms certificate holder living in West Berkshire. I realise many will close the page now but ever the optimist I will continue regardless!

With time on my hands, I have begun the (quite possibly endless) search for land to lease the sporting rights to in order to enjoy shooting as much as possible. Whilst content to punch paper on quiet days, ideally I am looking for land that provides Ďsportí of some kind; this may be in the form of pest/vermin control and/or deer stalking. In a nut shell I would rather sit, shoot and watch the world go by overlooking the countryside, than go to the range and stare at a bank of dirt for a few hours.

I do have a few pest control permissions but am looking for somewhere I can shoot further. I have a nice golf course I can shoot distance over but unfortunately the place is plagued with chaps in argyle sweaters carrying golf bats during daytime, which means I can only shoot there with night vision or thermal after theyíve left; ideally Iíd like to use more of the time I have spare during the day.

With this in mind Iím looking for land within an hour of RG14 or J13 of the M4. From threads Iíve read regarding sporting rates and other usage here and on other forums, and talking to chaps I stalk with who hold leases, I am offering between £5 and £20 per acre per annum for the exclusive sporting/shooting rights. This is loosely based on a 500 acre plot i.e. £5/acre = £2.5Kpa, £20/acre = £10Kpa.

The actual rate paid would reflect; A) any access restrictions (I may occasionally want to shoot 5 days a week, although a couple of times is more likely), B) general topography/location (dead flat ground adjoining residential areas isnít ideal), and C) quarry present (corvids sifting through cow muck or grazing fresh stubble are good long range sport, ditto bunnies grazing on pasture Ė deer obviously have an intrinsic meat value and obviously represent the most significant sporting value if present).

Iím not a Professional stalker looking to drag along umpteen clients whoíve never shot a rifle before. This is purely my hobby/retirement plan, apart from bringing a friend or the significant other along now and then it will be just me coming and going in the Land Rover.

I hold the DMQ Deer Stalking Certificate which some Police forces now see as mandatory when allowing deer calibre rifles, as proof of firearms competency and safety. Iím obviously insured as a member of BASC/NGO/NRA but am happy to provide more specific cover if required. References from Professional employers and existing permissions are available if requested. It goes without saying but complete respect will of course be shown to all property/livestock, gates closed, all spent cartridges and any other rubbish removed et cetera et cetera.

I apologise for the length of the post, Iím sure most will have gotten bored some time ago. Any input/feedback regarding the rates Iím offering or anything else pertinent is gratefully received. Please feel free to reply here or PM me to arrange to discuss further by phone or in person if you may be interested.

Right, back to hitting the Defender with a hammer...

Kind regards,
    Rich

Re: Sporting Rights/Land to rent for shooting

Failing finding sporting rights, an alternative might be renting a plot of land; obviously the quality of the ground is fairly unimportant for my purposes, which could mean a nice return from some poor ground that might perhaps otherwise be underutilised?