Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Brexit, yes or no?

Re: Brexit, yes or no?

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    Jack, the reason you are having trouble finding WTO tariffs is the WTO doesn't charge tariffs.

Selected text from the WTO website: https://www.wto.org/

"The World Trade Organization (WTO) is the only global international organization dealing with the rules of trade between nations. At its heart are the WTO agreements, negotiated and signed by the bulk of the world’s trading nations and ratified in their parliaments. The goal is to ensure that trade flows as smoothly, predictably and freely as possible."

"The WTO has many roles: it operates a global system of trade rules, it acts as a forum for negotiating trade agreements, its settles trade disputes between its members and it supports the needs of developing countries."

"The primary purpose of the WTO is to open trade for the benefit of all."

"The WTO has over 160 members representing 98 per cent of world trade. Over 20 countries are seeking to join the WTO."

"The WTO derives most of the income for its annual budget from contributions by its members. These contributions are based on a formula that takes into account each member's share of international trade."
    Thank you, so presumably the tariff I am having to pay is EU tariff?

Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Thank you, so presumably the tariff I am having to pay is EU tariff?

Jack Caley
    The tariff would be either EU or British.

Quote Originally Posted by Ironhead View Post
    if you mean World Trade Organization (WTO) they do not import or export duties or tarrifs on trade between countries - the "duties" Jack mentions would be a combination of EU / British import duties AND "paper work" charges by the shipper.

I have run into this "paper work" charge many times when importing things into Canada from the US.
    Apologies, I was being mischievously ironic with my reply . Fair play to you though with your excellent explanation of how the World Trade Organization operates.

When something on ebay has an inflated price like that there is no way it is down to any tax or tariff .
    It could simply be its out stock and they are avoiding having to relist it with a financial cost or losing people who have it on their watch list as is common with spare parts.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-41859691
    Insanity is doing the same thing, over and over again, but expecting different results.

so we have lost yet another Brexiteers from the cabinet!
    Seems a shame, we shall have to see who is appointed in her place.
    This whole totally unneccessary business of leaving the EU gets more and more difficult every day. If the stubborn EU lot had only given Cameron some space, we would not be here.
    It does make you wonder at the Freudian aspect of yet another loss of a Brexiteer from the cabinet.
    Wish they would get on with it.

Jack Caley

Just as a bit of light relief, Neil Oliver, archaeologist and historian, and new chairman of the National Trust (?) has described Alex Salmond as:

A round wrecking ball of a man - shaped only to do damage.

Jack. I used to think that Cameron was a half decent bloke but I now think that he couldn't negotiate his way onto an empty bus. I currently think that the PM is a thoroughly decent human being but I doubt if she is strong enough for the task ahead. I hope she proves me wrong.