Thread: Case 4230

Case 4230

Hi I own a case 4230 it's been going fine for a few years but recently when driving downhill the tractor takes off on it's on even though it's still in gear. Obviously this is quite dangerous when i have a load on behind. Can anyone help? Is it a gearbox problem ?

Case 4230

Hi I'm having trouble with my case 4230. When the tractor is in gear and going down a hill the tractor runs away as if out of gear. Is it a gearbox problem?

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Re: Case 4230

Sounds as though the Torque amplifier (splitter) has failed, one or both the plate sets isn't engaging to provide braking. I assume it might only only happening in one (lower) ratio? it's a known weakness of the design that has been tweaked up the models from the late 60's and is quite weak and unreliable unless used sympathetically. Not particularly cheap to fix either unless you are doing the job yourself. I did a couple a decade or so ago but wasn't impressed wit the size of the components used compared to the likes of the dual power on a Ford which was more or less fix and forget. The way the design works from memory you can effectively be in both ratios at once but the sprag clutch lets it run away from the lower ratio when in high and then a plate set provides the engine braking but I'm sure someone who works at them all the time will be along soon with the finer details. if you put one of them on say a large silage trailer and repeatedly use the splitter to drop down and brake the load it can fail the way you describe as the setup was designed in the days of the four ton flat trailer, driven sympathetically they do OK for light duties. I can't remember if there were springs to clamp or release the clutches, you're only hope for a cheap fix might be a stuck valve but I wouldn't be that hopeful as the unit fails mechanically easily. There are test ports to check oil pressure etc that you could check with an inexpensive gauge, someone with a manual might post you a picture, my stuff is for the older 885's and even the 4wd version of them is a bit different. Is yours 2wd or 4wd and was the splitter working previously etc? Some people weld the unit up solid and convert the tractor into 8 speed with no splitter to make them more reliable or save the money on the parts, seen a couple of older rough ones like that. I wouldn't do it on a tidy machine as it could ruin the resale value. (or maybe enhance it depending on the prospective buyers point of view).I would take a guess at 1000-1500 from a good independent mechanic or nearer 3k from a franchised dealer, there were shafts that failed in them too. I had to put one in an 885 and it wasn't cheap either. In my opinion they are a cheap tractor secondhand as people are sort of allowing for a TA calamity in the buying price. If you fix it right and drive it sympathetically it will last years but not a tractor that will withstand a flogging by a spotty youth.

I assume that is why the original MF Multi Power did not engine brake in low.

The muddy edge of the biggest puddle in the uk

Quote Originally Posted by essexpete View Post
    I assume that is why the original MF Multi Power did not engine brake in low.
    yes the multi-power had no method to prevent runaway in low. Same thing happens a DB hydrashift if a brake band snaps which is fairly rare but not unknown. The IH TA setup was fine in the early days but the original designers probably never conceived of it being married to 4wd and a tandem axle 16ft silage trailer or 1300 gallon plus slurry tanker.

Quote Originally Posted by T P View Post
    yes the multi-power had no method to prevent runaway in low. Same thing happens a DB hydrashift if a brake band snaps which is fairly rare but not unknown. The IH TA setup was fine in the early days but the original designers probably never conceived of it being married to 4wd and a tandem axle 16ft silage trailer or 1300 gallon plus slurry tanker.
    Yes and the power had gone up a bit.