Thread: New Holand TM sticking hand brake.

New Holand TM sticking hand brake.

Hi,

I've a New Holland TM with a sticking handbrake.

Its not the cable, this was replaced with new. Basically the lever on the side of the transmission does not return once pulled up, I can pull it down by hand its not overly stiff, but just tight enough that the spring will not release it on its own.

Has anyone had this problem.

Seems like a fair big job to remove the lever. Looks like the fuel tank is in the way and may not be that easy to reassemble.

Has anyway had this before? is there anything else I can try? whats the best way to fix?

Thanks!

Re: New Holand TM sticking hand brake.

Quote Originally Posted by diyjcb View Post
    Hi,

I've a New Holland TM with a sticking handbrake.

Its not the cable, this was replaced with new. Basically the lever on the side of the transmission does not return once pulled up, I can pull it down by hand its not overly stiff, but just tight enough that the spring will not release it on its own.

Has anyone had this problem.

Seems like a fair big job to remove the lever. Looks like the fuel tank is in the way and may not be that easy to reassemble.

Has anyway had this before? is there anything else I can try? whats the best way to fix?

Thanks!

Looks like lever/shaft No.12 is seizing in casting No.8. Worth trying some PlusGas or penetrating oil and someone pulling the handbrake repeatedly while you pry the lever back eachtime, do that and then try something like 3in1 or very light oil, may even help to use a blow gun around it to see if you can blow oil in there. Could be lucky and get it moving and then with occasional spots of lube it may not require taking off?

As an aside, the garage where I used to take vehicles for MOT used to always err on the side of common sense over handbrakes. they knew that one set to fully on in 2-3 clicks would usually end up with a sticky cable so their norm was 4-6 clicks and some decent travel was generally acceptable for a pass.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Re: New Holand TM sticking hand brake.

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post

. . .
    As an aside, the garage where I used to take vehicles for MOT used to always err on the side of common sense over handbrakes. they knew that one set to fully on in 2-3 clicks would usually end up with a sticky cable so their norm was 4-6 clicks and some decent travel was generally acceptable for a pass.
    Sound advice