Thread: BBC 2 Northern Ireland

BBC 2 Northern Ireland

Just caught an episode of " Brave New World" on BBC 2 Northern Ireland......Story of Ulster Folk who emigrated to Oz over the years.
    Tonights episode featured H V Mc Kay of the Sunshine drill etc......
    I well remember early years of the Sunshine Drill with the then enormous lever for the man on the back to drop the coulters at the end of the row, then mix your fingers with the feed system to keep them all full along the row.
    There was a previous series about the same in NZ.
    Sunday nights @ 10pm
    Or hunt about on the BBC "Iplayerer" thingy.

Re: BBC 2 Northern Ireland

Quote Originally Posted by Gee View Post
    Or hunt about on the BBC "Iplayerer" thingy.

9 Episodes available

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episod...uggid=b06ktlf0

Thank you very much for that lead. I found a couple of the episodes, those to Canada, very interesting.Especially so because my great uncle emigrated in 1890 to Alberta, my mother was brought up from 1909 to 1919 near Edmonton.
    Those people who emigrated had tremendous courage, suffered tremendous hardships, but created a great nation. You have to love those Canadians, a serene courteous people.
    Thanks again, will watch more, including the Australian ones.
    Just a thought, colonialism was criticised, but it helped to develop some great countries, people escaping from poverty and injustice here.
    Jack Caley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    Thank you very much for that lead. I found a couple of the episodes, those to Canada, very interesting.Especially so because my great uncle emigrated in 1890 to Alberta, my mother was brought up from 1909 to 1919 near Edmonton.
    Those people who emigrated had tremendous courage, suffered tremendous hardships, but created a great nation. You have to love those Canadians, a serene courteous people.
    Thanks again, will watch more, including the Australian ones.
    Just a thought, colonialism was criticised, but it helped to develop some great countries, people escaping from poverty and injustice here.
    Jack Caley
    careful what you say about colonialism, you will be black listed, oops should not use that word
    actually there is an Irish travel writer by the name of Dervla Murphy, her easily books were littered with examples of the injustices and evils of colonialism.
    Her later books she came to recognise the great benefits it bought to many peoples such as roads hospitals schools etc.
    The strange thing is the other day I was reading a report about the benefits the Chinese are bringing to Africa, such as modern farming methods , roads trains etc .
    funny that sounds like the British Empire again! we can be equally certain they will encounter the same results in 50-100 years
    Ixworth Solar Farming Ltd.

Quote Originally Posted by Exfarmer View Post
    careful what you say about colonialism, you will be black listed, oops should not use that word
    actually there is an Irish travel writer by the name of Dervla Murphy, her easily books were littered with examples of the injustices and evils of colonialism.
    Her later books she came to recognise the great benefits it bought to many peoples such as roads hospitals schools etc.
    The strange thing is the other day I was reading a report about the benefits the Chinese are bringing to Africa, such as modern farming methods , roads trains etc .
    funny that sounds like the British Empire again! we can be equally certain they will encounter the same results in 50-100 years
    I am careful in my use of the colonialism word with my friends in Canada and New Zealand!
    The fact remains though that the system did develop those countries. It is amazing to see how the countries have developed in around 200 years. It was done with great hardship in most cases. My great uncle dug a hole in the ground in Alberta to live through the winters, before he built a quite small log cabin. That cabin is still in use today as a car garage on the farm that he broke from the scrub. It was a strange feeling to be in that cabin, where my mother slept just under the rafters around 1910!
    There were more than 1 million emigrants emigrated through Hull and Liverpool to the new world. The difference with today's emigrants is that they put something in to a country not took it away!
    JackCaley

Quote Originally Posted by Jack_Caley View Post
    I am careful in my use of the colonialism word with my friends in Canada and New Zealand!
    The fact remains though that the system did develop those countries. It is amazing to see how the countries have developed in around 200 years. It was done with great hardship in most cases. My great uncle dug a hole in the ground in Alberta to live through the winters, before he built a quite small log cabin. That cabin is still in use today as a car garage on the farm that he broke from the scrub. It was a strange feeling to be in that cabin, where my mother slept just under the rafters around 1910!
    There were more than 1 million emigrants emigrated through Hull and Liverpool to the new world. The difference with today's emigrants is that they put something in to a country not took it away!
    JackCaley
    Jack
    the ones you have to walk on egg shells with are the "first migrators" - they don't like to accept history, but would rather change it to suite their wants. My ancestors came from Scotland in the 1830s (I think) - the east coast was quite developed in those days - the prairies didn't really get developed until after the east became Canada (Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec & Ontario) in 1867 and the east built a railroad to the west coast.

And what about the Roman invasion of Britain. Should we seek compensation from Italy or refuse to allow them to compete in the six nations. And ban all Gina Llollobrigida films and refuse to eat spaghetti?.