Thread: Ford 6-cylinder not working well... Any ideas?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Ford 6-cylinder not working well... Any ideas?

Hello everybody!

My JCB 4C's 6 cylinder FORD engine is not working well. Cylinders number 3 and 6 are not working.
    All cylinders get fuel but when I disconnect the fuel line (while the engine runs) to 3 or 6, the diesel is flowing but the rpm is not chaning.
    Also, the engine smoke a more than usual, grey-blueish smoke.
    The valves seems to work okay. In fact, everything seems to be okay but those two cylinders are just not working.

Any ideas what I should do or check next? Get the diesel nozzles cleaned or checked?

All ideas and hints are welcome. Thank you in advance!

Re: Ford 6-cylinder not working well... Any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by jcb4c View Post
    Hello everybody!

My JCB 4C's 6 cylinder FORD engine is not working well. Cylinders number 3 and 6 are not working.
    All cylinders get fuel but when I disconnect the fuel line (while the engine runs) to 3 or 6, the diesel is flowing but the rpm is not chaning.
    Also, the engine smoke a more than usual, grey-blueish smoke.
    The valves seems to work okay. In fact, everything seems to be okay but those two cylinders are just not working.

Any ideas what I should do or check next? Get the diesel nozzles cleaned or checked?

All ideas and hints are welcome. Thank you in advance!

If its a rotary fuel injection pump then the its unlikey to be a problem with the pump- the same internals deliver fuel to all the injectors in turn, although there are a few if's,buts, and exceptions but IIRC if its on old ford Dover D series then I expect it will be an inline minimec style pump.

Unusual to be the pump on a couple of cylinders so I'd go for getting the injectors tested after you have checked all the inlet & exhaust valves actually have the proper clearance just in case. See what the injection shop comes back with for each injector, its possible you have a pair down enough that are squirting really badly. Before you take them out, run the engine and hold each inj pipe between your finger & thumb and you should be able to feel a pulse as the injector opens, see if you can feel it on the good 4 and what you can feel on the suspect pair. When you get them back fit them and do the same test again as well as seeing if it cured the problem. Change the funny V section seal on each injector nut- it will stop oil seeping back out of the engine between the nut and pipe, best to change the big seal that the nut holds up against the cylinderhead as well and if the leakoff pipe running across the injector tops is old and crappy be wary of reusing it- you don't want fuel leaking into the sump and it running a bearing or three. Be very meticulous about the leakoff tube, its banjo bolts and the little adaptor and nipple it uses to connect to the head.
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Quote Originally Posted by Footsfitter View Post
    If its a rotary fuel injection pump ...
    I expect it will be an inline minimec style pump. "
    Yes, it is an inline style pump.
    Unusual to be the pump...
    Yes, the fuel pumps just right to all the cylinders. For example to cylinder 6 which is not working, see here -> http://sendvid.com/oiwmk2xm

And here another video -> http://sendvid.com/6kw0ex2c
    At 1:00 I loosen up the number 3
    At 1:58 I loosen up the number 6
    At 3:00 you see the inline pump and you hear the sound, and see the smoke.

I think the fuel flows from the pump to each cylinder just right but after that somehing is wrong.

...so I'd go for getting the injectors tested after you have checked all the inlet & exhaust valves actually have the proper clearance just in case. See what the injection shop comes back with for each injector, its possible you have a pair down enough that are squirting really badly.
    Okay. Thank you. I will do that right away.

Before you take them out, run the engine and hold each inj pipe between your finger & thumb and you should be able to feel a pulse as the injector opens, see if you can feel it on the good 4 and what you can feel on the suspect pair. When you get them back fit them and do the same test again as well as seeing if it cured the problem.
    Okay, I will do that, too. Thanks.

Change the funny V section seal on each injector nut...
    Sorry, what do you mean with "funny V section seal"?

Thank you very much. My plan is to get the injectors for check up, cleaning and adjustments just these days. I will update here a report as soon as I know something.

Thanks for the advices!

Sorry, what do you mean with "funny V section seal"?
    When you undo the pipe off the injector there should be a rubber seal V in cross section that the pipes nut pushes up against the injector to make an oil tight seal. will work without one but it can/may leak oil out along the pipes outside,plus if the pipe weeps diesel it will go into the sump instead of weeping out like the oil could

If you have a compression tester handy, when you pop the injectors out you could check the compression on all cylinders dry and then put a few squirts of oil in each cylinder and test again, this should give an indication on the condition of the piston rings/valve seating.
    i had a Perkins engine in my loadall that didn't run good and turn out to be an injector.

mike
    "At the end of the day, I think it's going to get very dark."

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    If you have a compression tester handy, when you pop the injectors out you could check the compression on all cylinders dry and then put a few squirts of oil in each cylinder and test again, this should give an indication on the condition of the piston rings/valve seating.
    Thanks, good idea. I do not have a tester but I'll ask around for one.
    All injectors are now at a repair shop and I am waiting for results. Interesting.

By the way, any idea about when I put the injectors back
    - how tight do I put the bolts?
    - how do I prevent the copper gasket not to drop in the hole...? Can I put some grease or something?

Quote Originally Posted by Quattromike View Post
    i had a Perkins engine in my loadall that didn't run good and turn out to be an injector.
    Okay, I do hope that there is some problem with my JCB's injectors and not some bigger fault.

Here some photos of my JCB's injectors

When you undo the pipe off the injector there should be a rubber seal V in cross section that the pipes nut pushes up against the injector to make an oil tight seal. will work without one but it can/may leak oil out along the pipes outside,plus if the pipe weeps diesel it will go into the sump instead of weeping out like the oil could
    Is it this one?

Do you mean this one?

Do you mean this one?

Sorry for not replying earlier- only just got back to real broadband- the satellite link where we were in NW Oz for a couple of days made the old UK dial-up seem fast and anything more than lite emails burned up your daily allowance !!

Thats the one. You can see where the extended shroud of the injector pipe "nut" has nipped up against it, sealing the nut to the injector and as mentioned earlier will if there is a weep make the diesel widdle out of the nut on the outside of the engine and not where you don't want it in the engine. I've know many poo-poo them, especially fly-by-night diesel shops or mechanics but its better to spend a couple of quid on them IMO.