Thread: Upgrading 7810? What to buy?

Upgrading 7810? What to buy?

Hi Iím looking to upgrade from our Jd 7810, sheís still going strong but with the wet year sheís struggled on our heavy London clay, especially on the cousins patriot we have, plus we had to reduce the plough to five furrows.

So Iím in need of something heavier and with a bit more poke. Iíve looked at a 6210r but Iím not sure if itíll carry enough extra weight? And does it have the torque on land? A 7230r seems a bit much for our acreage plus will something that heavy be useful for anything else apart from moleing subsoiling and ploughing. Itís a lot of money for 3 months work...

Mixed farm so diversity is handy.

The other option is to go older and higher hours?

Re: Upgrading 7810? What to buy?

If I had a tidy 7810, I'd be hanging on to her in the hope that we'll have a drier year next time. Can't you hire in a bigger tractor for a short time if needed?
    Don't itch for something if you're not prepared to scratch for it.

Not selling it, ill just move it to more top work and drilling etc

Weíve hired before but it didnít really work for us as itís just me and my dad so we re often jumping from one machine to another. We found we didnít get enough hours in. Having three enables us to have machines ready to go even though one might sit for a couple of days.

You don't say what your budget is ? I suspect you lean to John Deere, & why not..... but how about a late low houred Massey Ferguson 6499. We have a 58 plate, with about 2,800 hrs. & it's great, much prefer it to the 7726 which my daughter calls "her tractor"
    Last edited by its.... only me; 22-10-17 at 09:34 AM.

Would an MX Magnum 220 or bigger suit the bill ? Should be able to find a nice one I would have thought.
    Certainly heavy enough, pull like a train & a very good reliable tractor.

Both good suggestions, had a MF on hire a few years back very nice tractor. Always heard good things about case for field work. We ve got two John deeres at the moment and we ll be swapping in a new holland so it would match things up to go john deere. Dealers fairly local and I'm guessing it ll be more convenient if we get gps. Ill keep an open mind though, we always try to look for a good deal! I'm not going to get much for my NH so budget will be about 50k

Still trying to get wheat in here! the joys of a wet autumn!

We had John Deeres only until about 8 years ago. They were the older simpler Cummings engined variety. Can.t remember the model numbers but that was before they started adding silly numbers and more electronics.
    We had to change them for more horsepower and road speed for baling. Worst thing we ever did! Especially the 8000 series, they were snapped up to go Hungary, where apparently some of them do up 40,000 hours.
    The more modern the tractor, the more trouble they are.
    Jack Caley

An 8000 series JD, or as suggested, a Magnum would get my vote in your situation, keeping the 7810 also gives some back up if it breaks.