Thread: CASE j x 1100u 4WD

CASE j x 1100u 4WD

Looking for any thoughts on a fault on this j x 1100u 4wd this tractor was bought with a fault on the front axle the splines on the pinion shaft were worn due to the centre beam bushes being worn hence the pinion and the drive shaft were not aligned front axle rebuilt with new crown wheel and pinion e c t all gears in diff and hubs checked and were fine new centre beam bushes fitted along with splined couplers on drive shaft and axle refitted to tractor. Now here is the problem when 4wd is engaged the drive seems to miss at regular intervals just as if there is a tooth missing on a gear but this is what is unusual this only happens when under load like going up a hill or in wet conditions and only when driven in a forward direction in reverse it works as it should any thoughts very much appreciated

Re: CASE j x 1100u 4WD

What type of engagement clutch does it have ?
    Could it be a dig clutch type which is slipping out & re engaging 🤔

Not sure of the clutch type I would have thought it would be hydraulic multiplate if the problem was also in reverse I would have said it was missing a tooth maybe on the drive gear on the pinion shaft on rear diff

Hi Gapples have just had a look at Case parts list online and yes it looks to be a dog clutch I think you have got it worked out all would add up will have a look when time allows I will let you know thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by keithed52 View Post
    Hi Gapples have just had a look at Case parts list online and yes it looks to be a dog clutch I think you have got it worked out all would add up will have a look when time allows I will let you know thanks for your input.
    Going back to your opening post that you bought it in with the duff axle/driveline, I'd also check the wheel/tyres fitted are right to match the front axle to dropbox ratio.

Could be a cowboy has replaced tyres or tyres/wheels without considering axial windup?
    The best thing about Facebook is the logout button......

Surely if it were a tooth I don't think you would get much of an interruption in drive more of clunk and you would soon strip off another under load or worse if one tooth climbed on a damaged one. I think FF might be on to something, have you tried slowly on lock?

Thanks for help I will check these points out