Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best basic system

jpd

best basic gps system

in your opinion what is the best basic system?
    next door wants one solely for fertilising at 24 m
    quite fancy a patchwork myself
    the lowest spec is a tad over 1500
    anything else
    sorry if this has been done a 1000 times

FG.

Re: best basic system

Ive got one from this company (399)
    www.tractorgps.co.uk

I fert at 24m and been very pleased with it so far.
    Had a mate meter wheel one end of a 30 ac grass field, to test its accuracy and i was hitting the markers bang on.

Demo'd the JD lightbar, which is twice the price, but no screen, so cant see what uve done and cant do contour tracking etc etc.
    Also bought it to use with my 10m tedder, which some times when tedding hay in certain light, I can loose my way.

I also plan to upgrade and add the 'Field measure programme' which looking at the instruction book does a lot more than it says on the website

scoobyscotlad

Thanks F.G.
    Its better to hear from someone who has purchased it.
    Unfortunately, all of next stock sold out already.
    It would be approx end of April for your neighbour, no exact date confirmed to me yet.

jpd

Quote Originally Posted by FG. View Post
    www.tractorgps.co.uk

Had a mate meter wheel one end of a 30 ac grass field, to test its accuracy and i was hitting the markers bang on.

Demo'd the JD lightbar, which is twice the price, but no screen, so cant see what uve done and cant do contour tracking etc etc.
    Also bought it to use with my 10m tedder, which some times when tedding hay in certain light, I can loose my way.

I also plan to upgrade and add the 'Field measure programme' which looking at the instruction book does a lot more than it says on the website
    looks like a good affordable system
    using it for the tedder is a fantastic idea
    i often drove up and down on the same bit i'd swear

Filthyfarmer

www.tractorgps.co.uk

I like the look of that one...........didn't come up when I did a search a few weeks back

Bought one of these;

http://www.spraytech.uk.com/product/...CENTRERLINE220

fertilising grassland at 24m was a pleasure...........

FG.

Think i'm the unpaid South of England rep now, going by all the PM's i'm getting

farmerfred

The best basic system is a trimble EZ-guide.... End of

mole catcher

Check the Hz value of the GPS receiver to asses value.

eg. 10Hz is better than 5Hz

Nearly

this is close to me, what would have been the retail on it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2307688400...84.m1438.l2649

Nearly

Quote Originally Posted by Filthyfarmer View Post
    I like the look of that one...........didn't come up when I did a search a few weeks back
    Scoobyscotlad
    Is there anything you can do to make it easier to find on google etc? Or can't you keep up with demand as it is?

scoobyscotlad

Quote Originally Posted by Nearly View Post
    Scoobyscotlad
    Is there anything you can do to make it easier to find on google etc? Or can't you keep up with demand as it is?
    Top of the list if you google "tractor gps"

Just surpassed the 10,000 hits to website, some people must be finding it.....

extremed

will the tractor gps system work the same anywhere in the country? or in some areas is gps coverage better? sorry if this a dumb question! also do you need some sort of antenna device for on top of the tractor cab? thanks

Hooby Farmer

for the crop drilling and spraying, the farmnavigator is that one to go for?

FG.

Quote Originally Posted by extremed View Post
    will the tractor gps system work the same anywhere in the country? or in some areas is gps coverage better? sorry if this a dumb question! also do you need some sort of antenna device for on top of the tractor cab? thanks
    Any gps should work fine any where in the country.
    If your in really deep valleys, the amount of satellites that the reciever can see maybe reduced.
    No antenna on the 'tractor gps', its built-in like your car satnav

Glenn49801

No antenna on the 'tractor gps', its built-in like your car satnav
    thanks.... been wondering that too.

suppose next obvious question is can you plug in an antenna and would it increase accuracy?
    any1 tried?

Grassman

Have a look at this for a good basic setup.
    Made by Leica who are a very well respected firm.
    http://agriculture.leica-geosystems....MINI_83346.htm
    I use it for fertiliser, spraying etc.
    It comes with a very good receiver for the roof of your tractor.
    The unit looks small but the screen you actually see is as big as most of the others.
    It costs less than 1000.
    just installed a free upgrade on ours which amongst other things lets you save field data to your pc.

seedman stains

Choice of three perhaps?
    Leica minimojo
    farm navigator
    tractor gps

FarmerNick

Im selling my Centreline 220. Having used it about 8 times, so impressed have upgraded to a JD system (more complicated to use!!). Its in the For sale section.

Steevo

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerNick View Post
    Im selling my Centreline 220. Having used it about 8 times, so impressed have upgraded to a JD system (more complicated to use!!). Its in the For sale section.
    Great boxes - had ours for about 5-6 years now and it's so so useful!

Cowabunga

Quote Originally Posted by FarmerNick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steevo View Post
    Great boxes - had ours for about 5-6 years now and it's so so useful!
    I've got a Centreline 220 as well and get on very well with it. I paid 1200 as well. They are now selling for around 850 which makes them excellent value.
    The 550 asking price for the used model is probably spot-on the mark for a two year old one which should be as good as new. At these prices they make dye markers look decidedly poor value considering the need to buy dye and maintain the damned things and also judge distance even after that.

The huge advantage of the C220 is its simplicity of operation. The disadvantage is that it doesn't do round and round and it doesn't colour the area covered in a fancy colour, but some of these are a huge overkill for what most people need, a simple bout guider.

Filthyfarmer

Quote Originally Posted by Cowabunga View Post
    I've got a Centreline 220 as well and get on very well with it. I paid 1200 as well. They are now selling for around 850 which makes them excellent value.

The huge advantage of the C220 is its simplicity of operation. The disadvantage is that it doesn't do round and round and it doesn't colour the area covered in a fancy colour, but some of these are a huge overkill for what most people need, a simple bout guider.
    Paid 725 ex VAT for mine last month.

Made spreading fert in 20 acres of parkland dotted with clumps of trees at 24m a pleasure for once !!

jpd

looked at a patchwork go
    impressive and easy to use piece of kit
    retails here at 2200
    expensive
    ez 250 priced at 1500 with ordinary antenna
    good price for it
    topcon 110 priced at 1900
    leica mini priced at 1200 plus vat
    what do the experts think?
    patchwork seems to be the latest technology but is reflected in price

Grassman

I would of thought the Leica Mojomini is a lot less than that.
    I thought they were about 900 plus vat.

hughf

just been quoted 960 + vat for leica mojomini. Are you happy with yours?

Grassman

Very happy with it. Similar sized unit to a Tom Tom sat nav which is actually a good thing as I can mount it just in line of sight without blocking forward vision so very good.
    I have had excellent results with spraying and fert spreading. I have never had the fertiliser so evenly spread. Previously in small fields I have driven far too close to the last run and overlapped but now I feel I'm driving too wide but on measuring it is spot on.
    I actually did the outside run in one field as normal then purposely never looked out of the window again till I finished the field. It is that good!!
    Foam blobbers are now redundant!
    Also to swop to another tractor is a 2 minute job.

FG.

For anyone looking to get one of these units, ive recently upgraded and added the 'Field Measure' programme, to my 'Tractor Gps' unit.

When going first time round the headland of customers field, you can offset to either side, eg raking with 8 metre machine, set to 4 m to the left, if going clockwise and on your arrival back at start point you have your ac/ha's of field.
    Ive noticed this year that certain customers have told me a higher acrages in the same fields i was doing before, now they've noticed and enquired what the unit in the cab is for.
    One customer asked me to measure right into the boundary out of interest/accuracy and on a 26.31 ha field, i measured 26.2823, good enough i thought for guesstimate driving .
    Another facility is marking obstacles eg slightly raised man holes, handy in mowing fields with pipelines. Why do they need to be 4-6" above the ground perfect to right of your mower
    Also soil sampling etc can be marked.

scoobyscotlad

F.G,
    Yes, all the above is how it should work.
    As mentioned before, a number of contractors have the system in the combine purely for measuring the field on first circuit.
    Mr Farmer can "forget" about a few acres in some fields...

WoodenHead

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyscotlad View Post
    F.G,
    Yes, all the above is how it should work.
    As mentioned before, a number of contractors have the system in the combine purely for measuring the field on first circuit.
    Mr Farmer can "forget" about a few acres in some fields...
    When approx SS is it coming back into stock - no hurry though now all ferty on.

Or I could just go to Specsavers........

scoobyscotlad

We hope to have stock at some point next week.

jpd

Quote Originally Posted by scoobyscotlad View Post
    We hope to have stock at some point next week.
    does it come with a mount?
    is there an external ariel?