Thread: Sheep on cattle slats?

Sheep on cattle slats?

We have a cattle collecting yard that we'd like to use for sheep occasionally. Problem being, for scraping out, it has a slated slurry tank running across the middle of it.

Needs to retain a degree of load bearing so replacing the slats with expanded metal sections isn't an option. Possibly could put the expanded metal directly on top of the slats but it won't be used that often so a bit expensive and might not really work anyhow?

Anybody got any ingenious ideas that they use for sheep on slatted cattle areas? I'd be thinking it's probably not an uncommon problem.

Thanks.

Re: Sheep on cattle slats?

Quote Originally Posted by wrsni View Post
    We have a cattle collecting yard that we'd like to use for sheep occasionally. Problem being, for scraping out, it has a slated slurry tank running across the middle of it.

Needs to retain a degree of load bearing so replacing the slats with expanded metal sections isn't an option. Possibly could put the expanded metal directly on top of the slats but it won't be used that often so a bit expensive and might not really work anyhow?

Anybody got any ingenious ideas that they use for sheep on slatted cattle areas? I'd be thinking it's probably not an uncommon problem.

Thanks.
    Cant you just get some sheets of fairly "fine" wire mesh and lay over the slats when you want the sheep in there! , then when you finished just lift it all up, ???
    Big Vern..... Stay low Move faster

I quite happily house sheep on cattle slats pre clipping or after weaning and have had no problems with it. Ewes only though.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Vern View Post
    Cant you just get some sheets of fairly "fine" wire mesh and lay over the slats when you want the sheep in there! , then when you finished just lift it all up, ???
    Yes I think this is probably the way we'll end up doing it. Fortunately they're eight foot slats as well, the only ones about the place, so no cutting of sheets should be necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by grassmanman View Post
    I quite happily house sheep on cattle slats pre clipping or after weaning and have had no problems with it. Ewes only though.
    We'll have all sorts on it if anything so not an option unfortunately.