Thread: Covers for outdoor stacked straw / hay

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Newtonmore, Cairngorms National Park, Scottish Highlands

Covers for outdoor stacked straw / hay

Looking for tips and where to get the best system for covering hay and straw 4ft round bales stored outside please :-)

Re: Covers for outdoor stacked straw / hay

Hi Highlander....
    From conversations last month up there...a Bank Vault would seem to be the best place to store them.
    Not quite weight in gold but they seemed to be approaching it.
    Harvest in the area looked at the best pretty bad.
    You could pop a roof on the old Barracks😉
    Best thing I have seen is the Grays tubeliner, probably not practical though.
    How many? Small number of hay bales and I suppose you could use a wrapper.....shouldn’t affect the hay.....? Should it?
    Pyramid style...plastic sheet over then some way of weighting the edges down.
    Wrapping guarantees waterproof success, but costly...there are some tailored sheets I have seen somewhere....shaped to fit a pyramid stack....no idea of cost.....definitely expensive if the wind removes them.
    “Slange Var”

gee

We stack 4 foot rounds of straw outside, tube them up 3 high and interlock them so no squareish gaps in between, 6 bales wide means an 8metre wide silage sheet fits across nicely with a bit of extra cover to throw water off, then put round bales all the way around as they come out of the baler, works well with little waste and only cost is a sheet every year

Quote Originally Posted by HWalshaw View Post
    We stack 4 foot rounds of straw outside, tube them up 3 high and interlock them so no squareish gaps in between, 6 bales wide means an 8metre wide silage sheet fits across nicely with a bit of extra cover to throw water off, then put round bales all the way around as they come out of the baler, works well with little waste and only cost is a sheet every year
    That sounds look a good idea. If you could use big square bales in the future look at, Hay Cap Covers UK.

It is a long while since we ran our round baler and had an awful lot of livestock, but I always thought that round bales were the best thing since sliced bread.,
    Why, because they were weatherproof! You could bale them, leave them in the field and collect them when you got the time, and then store them at the side of a hard road, never more than one high, ie nothing stacked on top of each other.
    It took some room up in the field, but that area provided the space for us to cart the muck on to. If that proved to be to big an area, just one bale down the hedgesidereally took up no room.
    It makes me cringe when I see bales stacked four high and the resulting bale is wet half way to the middle.
    Not for me any form of expense covering them. Farming is a costly exercise anyway.
    Jack Caley

Newtonmore, Cairngorms National Park, Scottish Highlands

Thanks for the advice - I will just lay out in single "tubes" one high and let them run the water off like the old fashioned hay stacks - has worked well in the past - thanks :-)
    I really need to build a big shed for net year.
    Yeh Straw has gone crazy prices
    Or I could look out the old wrapper and wrap them but still quite a lot of effort and expense :-(